Right turn signal/brake light issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carl455

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer AWD V8
Hi all!

Ive done lots of research but this problem still has me stumped.
2005 Explorer

Symptoms:
-neither of the rear running lights work (the fronts do work)
-passenger side rear directional and brake light do not work. The front passenger side direction does.
-automatic headlights work, but the dash lights do not work when automatic lights are used. The dash lights do work when the headlights are turned on manually.
-the license plate lights do not work
-third brake light does work
-both the driver's side brake light and directional work
-reverse lights work
-at one point the driver's side directional and brake light were not working, for a day

What I've done:
-replaced the rear bulbs
-cleaned the connections of the rear bulbs and swapped the sockets
-cleaned and inspected the connection at the multifunction switch in the column, everything looked fine.
-cleaned and inspected the connection at the headlamp switch.
-inspected a bunch of fuses, I forget which ones.

This has got me stumped!
I suspected it may be a ground problem but Ive read the two lights share a common ground.
I have also read there may be a dirty connection at some trailer light junction. it looks like a b**** to get to.

Any Ideas?

did this happen all at the same time?

did this happen all at the same time?

Im not sure if this happened all at once or over a period. Right as I saw the right rear directional wasnt working I noticed all the other lighting symptoms. So probably all at once but there could have been malfunctions before too.

The only malfunction which I noticed existed before the right turn signal was the dash lights not comming on with the automatic lights. Thats been happening a while

i would start with the battery grounds, there should be one to the body of the car and one to the engine.if they are dirty or lose clean them..

Back