Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rippling on sidewalls

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by jssong, September 30, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jssong

jssong Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      I have goodyear wrangler rts i think on my 2000 xlt. It came on the truck from the dealer and looks brand new. ive put on about 1000 miles so far. and just today noticed slight rippling on the sidwalls of 3 tires. by rippling i mean almost bumps but very small, like half a centimeter sticking out along the sidwall. Does this mean anything? someone just told me that this is normal for the wranglers... but i dont know if itz cus of underpressure or overpressure in the tires. I run about 34-36 psi . any ideas? hope i dont need new tires...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      go to a tire place and ask them..... if there are bubbles in the sidewall that could lead to a zipper failure... that aint good...... then again they may just be seams from different belts being pieced together and that is normal...... are they cracklike and run with the circumference of the tire? or do they only run from the rim straight to the tire tread?

4. jssong

jssong Well-Known Member

City, State:
      they arent cracking.. the ripples start from the rim and go to the threads.. in very thin strips..

5. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      than its probably just the tire belts at the seams.... nothing to worry about if it is.....

6. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      It doesn't sound healthy. I'd have them checked out manana!

EDIT: do they look uniform or are they spuratic? The only thing that doesn't make sense is its only on three tires.

7. jssong

jssong Well-Known Member

City, State:
      i guess the easiest way to picture it is by look at the tired from the side view of the car... pretend ur karate chopping the tire ..the mark ur hand would leave on the tire is the ripple.. and there are a few of those per tire...

8. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      oh yeah, forgot to ask, are the ripples inward toward the frame or outward toward the curbs? if they are inward, then your probably ok.... since i cant diagnose this without seeing your truck, go to a local tire place and ask them... you may need to go to a few different palces to make sure they arent trying to scam you into a new set of tires.....

9. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      Have you been burnin rubber a lot lately? :D

10. jssong

jssong Well-Known Member

City, State:
      they bulge out towards the cub.. not alot.. but enough where u can feel the difference... burning rubber? havent been able to cus of my awd and lsd... could it be cus of my tire pressure?

11. james t

james t moderation Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      all this is is a cord splice. you will be fine. if its a round bubble, then it is an open splice and the tire will fail. but, from what you have described, it is just the splice. it is in all tires, but the thinner the sidewall rubber, the thicker the cord, the more noticable it will be.

12. jssong

jssong Well-Known Member

City, State:
      hopefully it not anything bad and normal as u said james... but im gonna try to bring it to a shop tom, have classes till 6 tonite.. hopefully i wont need new tires..do u guys think itz too late for the chalk test? should i have done it sooner? the only problem is that i dont know if they were brand new tires or had a few miles put on them when i bought the car..

13. jssong

jssong Well-Known Member

City, State:
      so i got my tires checked it.. the person said itz not that bad. and that i shouldnt be worried at the moment. but he said that i should watch out for the ripples to get any larger. he said that the metal wires on the sidewall are bulging because of the potholes in the streets. the tire tries to compensate too much.. and starts to expand sideways. i avoid almost all potholes.. i guess these tires just suck.. wrangler rts... he said i shouldnt expect more than 25000 miles out of them.. my firestones lasted almost 60k. dang.. but the bridgestone dueler a/ts, the new ones.. look pretty nice.. and $576 from the firestone dealer with mounting and balancing and insurance doesnt seem that bad. hopefully i wont have to get them for a while.. :p

14. james t

james t moderation Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      sorry to tell you this, but your tire shop guy doesnt know what hes talking about. the "metal wires" are belts, and they are NOT on the sidewall. the belts are under the tread. the ONLY thing in the sidewall is layers of cord, and the sidewall rubber itself. a radial tire will not try to compensate for pothole abuse by expanding sideways. what you have is a tire with fairly heavy duty cord and relatively thin sidewall rubber. this lets all of the cord splices show through much worse than normal. all tires have these, but due to design some just show it worse than normal. as long as you never get a big bulge, then dont worry about it.