Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rocking driveshaft

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Dave2004, March 6, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Dave2004

Dave2004 New Member

City, State:
      Roseville mi
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 explorer xlt
      Hi my name is Dave and I have read alot of posts on here and have found some helpful information and tips. My question for all is I have a 2004 explorer xlt push button 4wd and I'm having a problem when the vehicle is in gear drive or reverse with my foot on the brake the driveshaft is rocking back and forth causing the vehicle to lunge forward and back mildly. It will drive fine and shift thru all the gears no problem. The issue is only when stopped in to gear??? This also seems to affect the park gear as I can slightly push the vehicle like it's not fully locked in park??? I've had several people and shops look at it and I'm stuck with same problem. First diagnosis was the rear end was bad....? That didn't make sense to me so the second was at a transmission shop and they said the transfer case was bad and a $1300 fix. Unfortunately not really in the budget so I had one of my personal mechanics do the transfer case swap for alot less $$. The same issue is still there. He tells me to take it to another transmission shop for a new diagnosis. He believes it's something inside transmission? I Believe my trans is good because it rides and shifts smooth although it's possible there is something not telling it to stop completely when I'm stopped in gear? Please help! I've tried to Google this issue and have found no one on the internet with the same symptoms??

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Sounds like a transmission issue to me. There’s a lot more to a transmission than shifting properly.

4. Dave2004

Dave2004 New Member

City, State:
      Roseville mi
      2004 explorer xlt
      Any ideas of what could be wrong with the transmission?

5. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      I wouldn’t have a clue, but it’ll probably need opened up. Any reputable transmission shop should be able to give you a free quote.

6. 07gtman

07gtman Active Member

City, State:
      Chicago IL
      2005 Mountaineer 4.6 AWD
      sounds like it may be a linkage adjustment,Not sure but something to look into

7. 07gtman

07gtman Active Member

City, State:
      Chicago IL
      2005 Mountaineer 4.6 AWD
      Any luck with that issue.

8. Drewmcg

Drewmcg Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Ann Arbor, MI
      2002 Explorer XLS 2WD
      I'm no expert (is Imp around?), but it sounds like a torque converter issue to me. You haven't mentioned the mileage, would would be useful for us to know.

The torque converter is considered part of the transmission by some, but really sits between the transmission and the engine, in the bell housing. When I swapped a used 4.0L SOHV engine into my '02 XLS, I took the occasion to drain the torque converter from a lower-mileage Explorer and swap it into my truck. The front of the torque converter connects to the an intermediate shaft (I think that's what it's called), and the back to the transmission pump. I also pulled the pump (which is bolted into the transmission case behind the torque converter) while I had the engine out (its accessible from empty engine compartment w/o pulling the transmission). I had a Transgo upgrade kit (search ebay) and replaced a small valve in the pump that reportedly can stick on high mileage transmissions. While it seems less likely to me, that valve could also be an issue contributing to your problem. Its relatively easy to replace (not a full trans rebuild).

Part of the job of the torque converter, as I understand it, is to deal with smooth transition from idling at full stop to forward motion. The torque converter is filled with transmission fluid and allows the engine to continue rotating (e.g., 800 rpm idle) while the rear wheels are at dead stop. When you remove your foot from the brake and step on the gas (increasing the rpm), the fluid pressure builds in the converter and that higher pressure turns the output shaft that goes into the pump and connects with the rest of the transmission.

Or something like that.

If you had the 4.0L v-6, I'd say to wait till you pull the engine to do the timing chains and replace the torque converter at that time. However, the 4.6L v-8 has a better timing chain track record, and the chain can be replaced with the engine in situ--so you'll probably never pull that engine. That leaves pulling the transmission, which I personally have never done, but there are Youtube vidoes on. You will almost certainly break some or all of the transmission transverse support bolts, and you need to plan in advance how you are going to replace them. Disconnecting the bell housing from the back of the engine and dealing with the y-pipe and rest of the exhaust will be a challenge, too.

Good luck.

p.s. There is a separate, less-frequented transmission forum on the site where you may want to explore further (excuse the pun).

9. Dave2004

Dave2004 New Member

City, State:
      Roseville mi
      2004 explorer xlt
      I would like to thank everyone for a reading my post and replying as helpful as possible the issue is now corrected I found a transmission expert and upon his test drive the front differential blew after only two blocks of him driving it the diagnosis was that the front differential had been pull in the vehicle around 4 I'm not sure how long the original problem was the rear differential. So we replace both front and rear differentials 3.73 ratio and the vehicle rides perfect the vehicle only has 104k.

10. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      So.......you had mismatched axle gear ratios?

11. Dave2004

Dave2004 New Member

City, State:
      Roseville mi
      2004 explorer xlt
      No the transmission expert I took it to told me that I may have been driving around on the front axle for a long period of time and it's not made to carry that whole vehicle around for all I know the rear end could have been gone when I bought the vehicle. According to my VIN sticker on the door jamb that vehicle came with a 3.73 so we replaced it with the same ratio

12. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Ahhhh. Makes sense.