Rockwells | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rockwells

Hello all,
Long time user and fan, but been a long time since ive been on. O did my SAS about 6-7 years ago and posted on this site. Ive been running it with no problems besides the normal breakage. Lately i have been itchin for a upgrade and came across some up grades. I havent been on for ever so forgive me if im in the wrong thread, but back in the day it was easy to navigate this site. But anyways i have started my rock well conversion. I have rebuilt both axles flipped the rear hubs, shaved the breaks, added pinion breaks, grizzly locked the front welded the rear. Bought hummer h1 double beadlocks with rockwell welded in inserts. Plan on running 47 ltbs. Im running the BTF single reverse triangulated converions with coils. So far here is what i got, i have alot of pics put on my phone so i have to send them on over.

Attachments

• 4 link rock.jpg
    4 link rock.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 2,378
  • front rockwell.jpg
    front rockwell.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 2,702
  • front on rocks.jpg
    front on rocks.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 3,053

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holly crap batman! !;)

I second that!

now we need more pictures!

What the hell is up with those front upper spring perches, it just looks like no safety was taken into consideration, or maybe bad planning.

I'd like to see pictures or video of this off road. Seems like the body could be dropped a good 18" or more for practical reasons. :dunno:

Think if he runs 47" tires the body can't be dropped.i guessing those are trailer tires

rocks

The upper coil buckets are very strong they are 10 inch hoops fish plated and 4 inch by 8 inch gussets to the frame. The body cannot be dropped 18 inches, it has to be that high because of the top loader axle giving me 6 inches between the loader and my engine. Ever see the bummer? if not google it and then talk ****, i personally know him and his rig was way bigger than mine and tore it up with no safety problems. Those rims are trailer rims like i posted im running h1 ones with custom back spacing putting my width at about 90 inches right now with those tires on is at about 69 inches. Thanks for bashing, seems like this site still hasnt changed.

The upper coil buckets are very strong they are 10 inch hoops fish plated and 4 inch by 8 inch gussets to the frame. The body cannot be dropped 18 inches, it has to be that high because of the top loader axle giving me 6 inches between the loader and my engine. Ever see the bummer? if not google it and then talk ****, i personally know him and his rig was way bigger than mine and tore it up with no safety problems. Those rims are trailer rims like i posted im running h1 ones with custom back spacing putting my width at about 90 inches right now with those tires on is at about 69 inches. Thanks for bashing, seems like this site still hasnt changed.

Hey i said id liked it.lots of work into it and can't wait to see it finished ;)

Thanks. i just got to my shop and the front is exactly 4 inches higher than my sas lift which isnt tha bad considering i have a foot of axle above the center line to clear. Getting my hydro steering this weekend will post pics.

Old sas

Here is a pic of my old sas

Attachments

• old sas.jpg
    old sas.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,098

Yea I've seen your thread.thought it was a beast then,now you have just stepped it up again!!hahah ;)

coil buckets

Here is the coil buckets i made them adjustable because i wasnt sure on height but it looks like i will keep them all the way up. LOL

Attachments

• coil bucket.jpg
    coil bucket.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 3,641

What springs are you running in the back?

springs

I want to run a set off a xj or the same im running in the front. But im trying to make it to turkey crawl fest so i might just run a bigass block and a trackbar so i can go.

Wasn't bashing at all. Just a setup I'm obviously not familiar with. Didn't know I was going to bring up an insecurity. From now on I'll just watch your build and not ask questions. Sorry.

Approach angle.

Here is the side shot of my approach angle. The axle is moved up 6 inches from my sas which was 2 inches forward. The coils are about 4 inches down from the old buckets and 10 inches out. Running 2 inch square tubing with 1.25 heims and high misalignment spacers.

Attachments

• approach angle.jpg
    approach angle.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 2,046

coil buckets

Yeah they are i had to be creative, because they sit out so far. I would love to run coilovers, but im allready over 4 grand into this and i got the axles for free.

Dam! I love those buckets!

makes my idea seem possible for sure!

DSCN2436.jpg

it takes some one to come up with a new way of thinking. to pioneer a new style.

and you my friend have come up with a new way of solving an old problem. I love it!

need more pictures! Please!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, ill get more pics up soon, i was going to go get my hydro stuff, but it appears that i have to wait untill next week. those buckets you made look great! Looks like you put alot of fab time in them:thumbsup:

Back