Ronin8002's 4th Gen custom coilover conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ronin8002's 4th Gen custom coilover conversion

I'm going to be doing a project over the holidays to convert from the stock OEM style struts in the front of my 2008 4x4 Explorer to Fox coilover shocks.

The goal is to get a mild amount of lift (around 2.5") and increase the front suspension travel.

In stock form, the 4th Gen OEM front suspension with the OEM type struts has a bit over 4" of wheel travel.

I will be using Fox 2.0 Emulsion coilovers with 5" of travel. If my math is right, this should result in about 8.5" of wheel travel available (will probably be slightly less than that since I'll need to run limit straps)

I am going to do everything possible to make this a bolt on installation as far as the way the shock brackets are designed. So far, I've just gotten the shocks and springs (10" 750lb spring rate eibach coils) and extended lower shock eyelets.

I think it would be possible to run a 6.5" travel shock, but the front diff might have to be dropped down a bit with brackets in order to reduce the stress on the CV axles at full droop. So for now, I'm staying with a 5" travel shock.

More to come.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribed! i'd love to see this as a purely bolt on kit

Subscribed

This should be a little easier for the 4th gens than the 3rd gens. Your control arm looks a little easier to work with than ours. I am redoing mine again, due to the way the 3rd gen curves were you will put your mounts.

I thought u said that you werent going to domany mods to this one? lol

Anyway this should be pretty awesome. Did you get the new UCA yet? I think I remember reading that you go them with the truxxx lift.

I thought u said that you werent going to domany mods to this one? lol

Anyway this should be pretty awesome. Did you get the new UCA yet? I think I remember reading that you go them with the truxxx lift.

Yeah once rangermidtn started talking about coilovers on his 3rd Gen I realized I could probably do it too. :D After doing a little offroading I saw that I definitely needed the extra flex.

I have my BTF UCAs on a shelf in the garage...will put them on when I do the coilover install.

Upper brackets are basically done.

Made them out of 1/4" plate for the flat parts and 1/4" wall rectangular tube for the "tab" portion.

I used the rectangular tube because I needed to have 3" between the OEM strut mounting surface and the center of the mounting hole for the new shocks. All the shock tabs I saw online were too short...I needed something that would be long enough but also very strong.

Additionally, I installed some thick weld washers to strengthen the areas where the shock holes are. This will also prevent the shock holes from getting "ovaled" out over time.

Here are the pics...still need to smooth out some of the rough edges and position/weld the rectangular tube to the plate:

F553F966-orig.jpg

50D2BC9E-orig.jpg

Once these are done I'll be ready to do the lower mounts.

Looking good!

Hey Ronin, did you shocks come charged with nitrogen, or do you have to go do it?

they came charged... 200 psi I think.

Thanks, you got these from poly perfomance right? I am thinking about ordering the 5" for the front and the 6.5" for the rear.

just so as you both know,, my Fox 2.0's are charged to 300 psi of nitrogen,,

and,,,,

it would seem the race is on, to see who's rig is on the coilovers first,,

but i think a same day photo unveil would be so sweet,,

and,,,,

it would seem the race is on, to see who's rig is on the coilovers first,,

but i think a same day photo unveil would be so sweet,,

Lol, well rangermidtn is way ahead of me. I've got some extra time for the rest of the week though, so hope to get closer to finishing.

Lol, well rangermidtn is way ahead of me. I've got some extra time for the rest of the week though, so hope to get closer to finishing.

Don't worry you will probably catch me this week, starting tomorrow rain everyday here.

When are you going to stop doing cool crap James? .. :thumbsup:

How's that running board by the way? lol

Yeah man, looking good on those brackets!

Started the lower mounts yesterday. Hope to have them done by the end of the weekend.

When are you going to stop doing cool crap James? .. :thumbsup:

How's that running board by the way? lol

haha, thanks. that running board is still holding up...just cracked the outside edge. Sometimes when the wind is right on the highway it will rattle, but otherwise I forget its there most of the time. I am planning to build another set of sliders in the spring like what I made last year for my old truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Started the lower mounts yesterday. Hope to have them done by the end of the weekend.

haha, thanks. that running board is still holding up...just cracked the outside edge. Sometimes when the wind is right on the highway it will rattle, but otherwise I forget its there most of the time. I am planning to build another set of sliders in the spring like what I made last year for my old truck.

Let me know when you're ready to build sliders for my truck ;-)

Well mounts for them. i think eventually i'll go with the Trail Gear sliders.

Back