Ronin's Rig | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ronin's Rig

Haven't done one of these yet, so here it is. Thanks to all who helped me with ideas and tips along the way!

I bought my 2004 Eddie Bauer 4.0 in 2009.

Current Mods:

-Scanguage II with blendmount rearview mirror mount: scangauge 2 questions
-OEM Class 3 hitch swap
-SCT XCal3 programmer with 87/89/93 torque tunes from Henson Performance
-Gibson stainless catback exhaust
-Hunter Brush Guard
-Helo wheels Maxx8 Black 16x8 wheels, 0 offset
-Treadwright Guard Dog M/T 265/75/16: Buy TreadWright All-Terrain & Mud Terrain Tires for Trucks, Jeeps & SU
-Cobra 75WXST CB radio with Firestik II 3' antenna - mounted over the right rear taillight: What do you reckon?
-Custom 1.25" front / 1" rear strut lift spacers
-12" limit straps - 3rd Gen Limiting Straps install
-Moog Coil Springs mounted on Monroe Reflex struts
-BTF tubular upper control arms with uniballs: For Sale - Upper control arms... Extended WITH UNIBALL
-PA 883 3” body lift: How to: 3rd Gen BODY LIFT. Install.
-Yukon 4.10 gear swap in the front and rear axles: Regearing the front differential - possible solution
-Aussie locker in the rear axle: How to: 3rd Gen Aussie Locker Install
-Rugged Ridge 100 Watt offroad lights x 4
-F-150 Tow Hooks
-OEM Fuel Tank and Transfer Case skid plates
-Custom Rock Sliders: Ronin's 3rd Gen rock slider build thread
-Viair 20001 On Board Air system: My "stealth" on board air install, pics, and video

Removed mods:
-Underdrive crank pulley/underdrive water pump pulley/overdrive alternator pulley
-Black Magic 150 electric fan/HHR electric fan (got too hot in the summer)
-1.5" body lift (upgraded to 3" body lift): How to: - 1.5" body lift for less than $50
-50W Baja Blazer offroad lights (too dim!)
-Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ radials 265/75/16
-KKM cone filter and MAF adapter with outerwear pre-filter: " Stage 2 " Intake 04-05
-BTF 1.75" front/1.5" rear strut lift spacers: How To: BTF-Fabrication Spacer Lift Install

More to come!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Next up on the list of projects:

-I ordered a set of Treadwright Guard Dog M/Ts in 265/75/16 size in Load range C to replace my Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs. The Mickeys have performed well but being that they're load range E they ride a bit too harsh for daily driving. I also have one that I must have hit a curb with so there is a little bulge in the sidewall. I hate having to replace one of these expensive tires so early in its life so cost was another big reason in my decision to switch to Treadwrights.

Unfortunately they're on backorder for a few weeks so I won't get them till sometime in October.

Also on the list:

Some TLC for my transmission. Haven't had any codes or MAJOR issues yet so I hope to head them off.

I will be fixing the servo bores using the parts from http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com

At the same time I will drop my transmission pan to put in a new solenoid pack to fix my current one...I have some issues with the transmission going into D and R kind of harshly and some other intermittent weird shifting behavior.

I'll be replacing my stock fluid pan with the deep pan from Performance Automatic that has the dipstick built in.

With that done, I'll probably wrap up my mods with a dual battery setup. I found that another user discovered that a battery will fit nicely into the compartment underneath where I have my on board air compressor switches mounted. I'm thinking of going with an Optima Yellow Top dual purpose and using a Painless Performance Digital Power Manager to wire it all up.

If I go any further with the truck after that it'll be replacing my running boards with some sturdy rocksliders so I can buy/use a hi-lift jack.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

James

Regarding the transmission I strongly recommend TrasGo Shift Kit SK 5R55W #T46165, it is a must.

And if it is possible, change the intermidate and O/D band with OEM borg warner Bands. Trust me no bands like them.

For the servos, TCI servos are the best.

And regarding the shifting harshness, reprogramming and tuning using ford IDS at ford dealer can solve the problem.

Any warranty on those mickeys mate? This is one of those times that having a big bulge sucks.

Treadwright Guard Dog MTs have been shipped, hopefully will get all 5 next week!

The rig just turned 60k so I think it's time for some new struts...with some special modifications to go along with those ;)

After that it will be time for transmission work and then might look into the dual battery setup.

Treadwright Guard Dog MTs have been shipped, hopefully will get all 5 next week!

The rig just turned 60k so I think it's time for some new struts...with some special modifications to go along with those ;)

After that it will be time for transmission work and then might look into the dual battery setup.

What kind of struts modifications do you think of James?

And would you think of TransGo Shift Kit? I used it and I realy like it.

What kind of struts modifications do you think of James?

And would you think of TransGo Shift Kit? I used it and I realy like it.

I am going to raise up the lower spring seats on my struts (slightly) and use smaller BTF spacers (essentially the same way the Rancho Quicklifts work, but without the selectable valving like those do). This will give me a slightly higher lift and none of the disadvantages (rear axle grinding on frame and uniball cup hitting the front springs) at full suspension droop.

I looked at the TransGo kit but I was wondering how difficult the install is. Does the valve body need to be removed?

I am going to raise up the lower spring seats on my struts (slightly) and use smaller BTF spacers (essentially the same way the Rancho Quicklifts work, but without the selectable valving like those do). This will give me a slightly higher lift and none of the disadvantages (rear axle grinding on frame and uniball cup hitting the front springs) at full suspension droop.

I looked at the TransGo kit but I was wondering how difficult the install is. Does the valve body need to be removed?

TransGo have 2 kits now for 5R55S/W

http://transgoonline.com/products.php?homeinclude=catalog&category_id=74&parent_id=74

SK and HD2

I have SK kit and I realy like it. But becuse I'm littil gready for preformance, I wish if HD2 was avilable at the time I baught the kit

The difficulty of the installation is in the mid range. The valve body need to be removed. But don't worry, a detailed and clear instruction is included.

I am going to raise up the lower spring seats on my struts (slightly)

hmmmmmmmmm. could this be done in combination with my current spacers? my trucks just for looks, not functionality, and ill need every centimeter i can get if i want to clear 305/55/20's

hmmmmmmmmm. could this be done in combination with my current spacers? my trucks just for looks, not functionality, and ill need every centimeter i can get if i want to clear 305/55/20's

You can, but it's just going to make your control arm angles worse than they are now and limit your downtravel even more, as well as the uptravel. I think upgrading to the 3" body lift would be better in your case....those 305's are about 1/2" bigger and 3/4" wider than your 285's. If you do raise the spring seats after that I wouldn't do more than 1/2"

As far as the suspension stuff, I have to do some testing but I think the following may be possible:

-a 1.25" or 1" front BTF spacer with 1" of lift on the spring seat
-a 1.25" or 1" rear BTF spacer with .5" or .75" lift on the spring seat

This should end up being the same lift as either a 2" front / 1.5" rear or 2.25" front/1.75" rear BTF lift except my hope is that it will result in NO metal on metal contact in the front or rear suspension :thumbsup:

The downside will be that uptravel will be limited in the front and rear by the same amount as the spring seats are raised. Not to big a deal for the rear since there's plenty of travel back there....the front has less though. So I'm going to try it and see how it rides. Might need to get front struts with 1" more uptravel...and I have found some that I think would work.

:ttiwwp: :D

lol okay, can't wait!

Treadwright Guard Dog 265/75/16:

IMG_5379.jpg

IMG_5380.jpg

IMG_5381.jpg

They look mean. Sidewalls says dueler a/t?

Yeah they're recaps. Treadwright takes good quality carcasses and manufactures their own treads to mount on them. These carcasses happened to be from Dueler ATs but all 5 tires match at least. Not bad for $109 a tire.

Also they are a true 32" size...my MTs were around 31.5"

Congratulations They look great also the price is great. what about reliability and driveability?

also I would like to ask you about rear tow hook, any ideas?

Back