Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Roof Mounted Antenna?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by Alaskanredneck, June 27, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Alaskanredneck

Alaskanredneck Active Member

City, State:
    Newman Lake, WASHINGTON
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 Explorer XLS
    I have a 96XLT and I currently have the taillight mount for a cheep Valor 4ft antenna. I bought a 5 ft firestick with tunable tip and it bends the crap out of my taillight mount. and yes there is a spring on it. I want to mount my antenna to the roof. the firestick mount says not to install longer than a 4ft to the roof because the supplied 2in washer cannot support the drag. I went and had a 6in 00 guage "washer made. My question is should mount it directly to the roof or should i make a light bar and attach it to that?:usa:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    I'm having trouble picturing exactly what you're working with, but I guess your options are to drill a hole in your roof, or mount to a light bar (which you'd want to ground to the vehicle). I'm not big on drilling hose in my car, especially on the roof, but I guess it's up to you to decide what kind of project you want to get into, and what you want the final product to look like.

4. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    03 sport trac XLT
    im in the middle of installing and tuning my first cb radio, but i would suggest not drilling a hole in the roof of your rig. too many problems can come from that like leaks and none of those problems are worth having good cb reception. i would go magnet mount, thats what i did, and i found a good way to hide the coax to where its not even noticable. right now im debating whether i should replace my regular radio antenna with a cb antenna, and then getting a splitter that would allow both the cb radio and the am/fm radio to share the new antenna. you could also go that route.

5. Alaskanredneck

City, State:
    Newman Lake, WASHINGTON
    2004 Explorer XLS
    I'm less worried about the aesthetics, and more worried about the functionality. Rizzjc you are exactly correct those are my two options. I guess the heart of my question goes to structural integrity. What is the stronger location noting the parts i have already listed? Thanks!

6. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    03 sport trac XLT
    if this helps, ive been talking to a guy who goes by the name of ronin on the forum who mounted a cb antenna where his am/fm antenna went, and he told me that the sheet metal is too flimsy and would flex with any antenna larger than 2 feet. he said that he planned on fabricating some sort of metal bracketing that he was going to re-enforce the sheet metal with, but ultimately decided to go with mounting a larger antenna on the rear corner of his bumper. i would think it would be the same if you mounted an antenna by drilling holes in your roof. he said he used a spring too, and any time hig wind or a branch would catch his cb antenna while it was mounted on the sheet metal, it would just bend the body panel. when i get my cb antenna set up on my am/fm mount, im going to put a 2 ft antenna in place since i dont need really long range. my cb set up is just for road trips and caravanning on the trails.

7. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    'Course, in addition to the mag mount, you can always make a stronger taillight mount. Like I said, I'm just not a fan of drilling holes in my metal body.

8. Alaskanredneck

City, State:
    Newman Lake, WASHINGTON
    2004 Explorer XLS
    I defiantly understand not wanting to drill holes as I do not either, the problem im rinning in to with the tail light mount is the lack of a ground plane. I think that if it were mounted to a light bar a would still have ground plane but im not sure.

9. Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

City, State:
    GA
    '93 Ranger XLT
    I mounted my K40 antenna through my roof 17 years ago - it has never leaked. Do it right, and you won't have a problem.

The main reason for mounting in the roof - in the center of the vehicle - is for optimum (or at least as good as it gets) omni-directional use.

Yes, the sheet metal is a little flimsy - I used a 1/8" aluminum backing plate under the roof panel.

Over the years, I have installed 4 antennas in the roof - of brand new vehicles.

10. Alaskanredneck

City, State:
    Newman Lake, WASHINGTON
    2004 Explorer XLS
    hey scott any thoughts on the fact that its a 5 ft firestick?

11. lynchy wa

lynchy wa Down Under Beer Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albany, Western Australia
    2008 ford falcon XR8 ute
    Down here alot of blokes mount their aerial's to their roo bar or front bumper. Might be worth thinking about as another option?

12. Scott B.

City, State:
    GA
    '93 Ranger XLT
    I would put a spring between the roof mount and the antenna, since the Firestick is not as flexible as the K40.

Use silicon sealer around the hole. I also used a rubber washer between the antenna mount and the roof - a little extra water seal.

13. Alaskanredneck

City, State:
    Newman Lake, WASHINGTON
    2004 Explorer XLS
    10-4 scott! I'm in the middle of moving so it will be a few weeks but I will take pictures!

14. Scott B.

City, State:
    GA
    '93 Ranger XLT
    Check out this thread if haven't. Post 7 is my truck.

We Support Our Troops!