Roof rack install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EXPLODER69

Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
After searching through 10 pages I could not find what I am looking for exactly, but I have some ideas.

Anyway my 92 exploder does not have a factory rack, but there are multiple 91's & 92's at my local U-Pull It that have factory racks in decent condition.

Is there any reason I could not pull the factory racks off the junkyard models & install them on my own? I don;t want to put holes in my roof just to find out it wouldn't or shouldn't work.

The end result will be a basket by Serco or whatever I found on some of the other threads I searched through. It looked the nicest so far. I want something big that doesn;t hang over & something longer than normal. I plan on mounting a 72'' hi-lift & a 35'' BFG up there. Maybe more, but that is it for now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Junkyard rails will be fine for you to install. Maybe you could do a write up/how to: to help out others. Good luck with it and take pics. :cool:

I will do just that. For once I might be a good example to others! ;):eek:

As long as you have the factory nuts embedded in the roof, you can just bolt the rails right on. If not, well you may have to get creative.
I have a Surco rack that I am going to be selling, let me know if you are interested, in good shape and will just slide right into the factory rails.

The main side rails of the factory racks have special fasters with expanding bases, so the rails can be installed from the top without having to remove the headliner. You can definitely remove the rails, but you will need new fasteners to attach them to the roof of your ride. The smaller middle scuff rails are just riveted on, and should come off pretty easily using a cordless drill to drill out the rivet heads.

Keep in mind you don't HAVE to use a roof rack from a 91-94, the later 95-01 racks will fit too, the crossbars are different in appearance, though. You can sometimes find brand new racks with hardware on ebay.

I appreciate all the help. I will be scoping the donor rigs thoroughly to see how they are done, but I am sure this will be a custom job.

Darrman: I'll be in touch....:thumbsup:

Back