Roof Rack - Rated capacity? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack - Rated capacity?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ladder shouldn't be an issue.. Had a 40' aluminum one on the roof rack before

i am a bit over 200 lbs and it definitely did NOT feel safe when I was up there :D

i am a bit over 200 lbs and it definitely did NOT feel safe when I was up there :D

How many miles were you riding up there? :D

I have not been able to find a roof rack capacity for a gen 4 explorer with a factory roof rack. The OM says 100 pounds evenly distributed but, that is a dynamic weight limit. Does anyone know what the static load limit is for the rack?

Looking at the manual pg 177, it's rated for 200 lbs evenly distributed or as far rearward as possible, as a static load. There is no dynamic load rating, nothing should be moving around up there.

Car moves.
In a turn or at stopping, the 100lbs static might become 200lbs slung sideways or even more than that in front (g-forces).

^ Yes but there is no way to rate an unknown G-force towards an unknown object shape and mounting method that is definitely not going to be evenly distributed.

If you can't secure something more than a few dozen pounds it doesn't belong on the roof, not just to protect the roof but also other motorists from flying debris and road hazards.

I was focused more on the vehicle being static versus moving. Not so much an unsecured load or a liquid load on the roof of the vehicle. Reason being is for use of a roof top tent. I have found some tents that are only about 100# but, I'm not sure of the max capacity of the roof rack when the vehicle is stopped and people are in the tent. Some are made for 1 person and some I've seen are for 4 plus, that could be a lot of weight! Thanks though!

I wouldn't consider the roof sound enough for more than 1 medium sized child on top and only then with plywood (or rigid foam, corrugated plastic sheeting, etc. for weight savings) to distribute load when they are moving around on feet or hands and knees. However I'm talking about the Gen 2 roof, not Gen 4 which I know little to nothing about.

I've heard the factory racks are rated for 160lbs. However I wouldn't trust that anymore. Last month my 3 kayaks came off, they weigh about 150lbs. The plastic cross bars haven't taken well to 17 years of use.

Invest in Yakima or Thule if you plan on carrying alot. Although the stock bars are fine for ladders, that's very little weight

Back