Roof Rail Separating | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rail Separating

Here is the TSB.

D9D9B150-0060-4771-B056-4D2295FADB4A.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2019 FE Sport - SAME Issues...Roof Rack Unattaches on 1 side....4K miles, been to dealer 3x...
1st "Fix" - Replaced with bigger clips
2nd "Fix" - Removed fully bottom & top rail replaced
3rd "Fix" - Applied TA 32 sealant silicone to BOTH Rails, all clips - Taped down 24hrs
3rd Fix was yesterday
Wait & See now...

Welcome to the Forum Anthony.:wave:
Your post was moved to the appropriate thread found using the 'Search' feature.
It seems that this issue still seems to occur although it doesn't appear to be as frequent.

Peter

I was like only the black ones peel so I feel better. Nope the silvers peel too. I'll try this TSB and the A & B pillars next visit.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169810-0001.pdf

I fixed this awhile ago by using a heat gun to remold the rear of the roof rail so that it would "grip" tighter. There's a clip that doesn't engage on the side (faces center of vehicle). Once I re-molded the cover, it snapped back into place with a very audible sound. It's been almost 2 years and nothing has popped off. I tried adhesive and it's not going to stick forever or under a car wash or heavy winds. It has to physically latch into place mechanically.

I tried a bunch of glues, VHB tape. Finally bit the bullet and ran self tapping screw through the outer shell into that inner frame on both sides at the rear. Someone else in a different thread used 3 screws. I ended up going back and counter sinking the hole so the screw head fit a little More flush. The fronts seem pretty firm for now.

2019 Explorer Sport

I tried a bunch of glues, VHB tape. Finally bit the bullet and ran self tapping screw through the outer shell into that inner frame on both sides at the rear. Someone else in a different thread used 3 screws. I ended up going back and counter sinking the hole so the screw head fit a little More flush. The fronts seem pretty firm for now.

2019 Explorer Sport
Unless you have exceeded the mileage allowance, your warranty would have covered that issue

Peter

Here is my fix, I found some black screws that looked about same and drilled a small hole and that was about it, they are holding just fine now :)

New photo by Burnitzki Cars & More

That's basically where the covers need to clip into. Just use a heat gun to make the cover tighter in that area. It should snap into place very loudly afterwards.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169810-0001.pdf

I fixed this awhile ago by using a heat gun to remold the rear of the roof rail so that it would "grip" tighter. There's a clip that doesn't engage on the side (faces center of vehicle). Once I re-molded the cover, it snapped back into place with a very audible sound. It's been almost 2 years and nothing has popped off. I tried adhesive and it's not going to stick forever or under a car wash or heavy winds. It has to physically latch into place mechanically.
Can you explain in more detail what you did? Seems to me that applying heat would have an effect opposite of "tightening" anything. Did applying heat allow u to push the rail down harder because the plastic got "looser" and flattened out thereby allowing the clips to fully engage?

Ford recently released an updated service repair (TSB) for this issue:

They are replacing clips and gluing the covers with "super fast drying" 3M adhesive.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
2016-2019 Explorer - Roof Rail Covers Loose
20-2154
06 May 2020

Can you explain in more detail what you did? Seems to me that applying heat would have an effect opposite of "tightening" anything. Did applying heat allow u to push the rail down harder because the plastic got "looser" and flattened out thereby allowing the clips to fully engage?

First I took off the rail cover entirely and had it in my living room. I squeezed the rear of the rail cover while heating it, and kept squeezing it as it cooled. It's been 2 years and my rail cover hasn't popped off. There's a clip on the side (inboard) that needs to latch. You know when the rail cover is latched because it makes a very loud CLACK. The vertical clips (the ones you think aren't holding on tight enough) don't make much noise when latching.

Does installing Cross rails reinforce the roof rails in any way?

No, they are separate. I just installed the cross bars the other day.

I have a 2018 Explorer Sport. The roof rail caps are of poor design and were constantly popping up. During a recent drive in high winds, my passenger side rail blew off. I need a replacement as this is a leased vehicle. The original roof rails are black, and the caps are a "glossy black" color

I believe I have found the part, but am unsure which specific version to order:

Top Cap - Passenger Side (RH) FB5Z-78551A46-EA
Top Cap, Right
With sunroof, absolute black. Passenger Side (RH).

Top Cap - Passenger Side (RH) FB5Z-78551A46-AA
Top Cap, Right
Without sunroof, carbon black. Passenger Side (RH).

I *think* that I need the -EA part ("with sunroof" -- as mine does have it), although it throws me off when I select it, it says "Fit Note: With Body Color Roof Rack". My vehicle is white, and the roof racks are black -- as I believe all Explorer racks are.

Here is a photo of the remaining Driver's side:
1605625527979.png

^^Your thread was merged with this one on the same issue. Is the Explorer still under warranty? If so, this should be covered. There is also a TSB on this issue. See post #105 above. As far as colour goes, I don't think I've seen any other than black.

Peter

The Sports should be black, Platinum is chromed. Not sure about Limited or XLT Sport Appearance. My XLT is painted silver.

The fix is to heat the roof rail covers and re-shape them to clip on tighter. I did this and my roof rail covers have stayed put for almost 3 years. My right rear used to pop up all the time. A co-worker with a 18 Sport had both rear covers pop up all the time. Basically you'll know it is clipped on properly when it makes a very very loud CLACK on the back because there's a side tab that needs to lock in place.

^^Your thread was merged with this one on the same issue. Is the Explorer still under warranty? If so, this should be covered. There is also a TSB on this issue. See post #105 above. As far as colour goes, I don't think I've seen any other than black.

Peter
Thank you for this information! Yes, the Explorer is still under warranty. The cap completely blew off during my drive, so I don't actually have it. It is certainly a safety hazard, and thanks to the poor weather, nobody was injured.

Has Ford replaced these under warranty without having the original part?

Thank you for this information! Yes, the Explorer is still under warranty. The cap completely blew off during my drive, so I don't actually have it. It is certainly a safety hazard, and thanks to the poor weather, nobody was injured.

Has Ford replaced these under warranty without having the original part?
There are members that have had them fixed as per the TSB but I don't recall anyone actually having lost the part. Check with your dealer and please report back.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2019 Explorer Sport with 14,500 miles. Have been having the roof rail issues for a while now. Been in service twice, one time before the recall, and the second time after. Neither fix has worked. Upon reading that some have lost their rails traveling on windy days, I escalated this to FMC because it is now a safety hazard for others on the road as well as a liability for me. Their only solution is to have me go back to the dealer. Dealer advises new rails are most likely needed, but are on backorder from the factory. When they expect to get it, no one knows according to them.

The car is a lease so I am unable to modify it without potentially incurring charges from Ford Credit. Otherwise, the rails would have long been removed by now. It seems a bit crazy that FMC is completely apathetic towards this issue. Any suggestions on how to further escalate this issue and put pressure on FMC?

Back