1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Roots vs Centrifical

Discussion in 'Modified Explorations!!' started by wpurple, December 8, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. wpurple

wpurple Well-Known Member

City, State:
      CT
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 Explorer 12 Escape
      What draws more of a load at full boost, roots or a centrifical?
      What about just trolling around not under boost?

Thinking logically I say the centrifical is more of a load because it actually has to compress the air as opposed to a root which just pushes the air along.
      (Whether in boost or not)

Comments?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. JGAMBLE

JGAMBLE B

City, State:
      Ft. Wainwright, Ak
      1994xlt
      for 4x4ing I'd go with the roots, more bottom end. Everyone I know who has run centrifigual says they don't really kick in til around 3000 or so. I'm not sure but I think roots takes more power to turn, more mass inside it to turn.

:chug: :chug:

4. wpurple

wpurple Well-Known Member

City, State:
      CT
      97 Explorer 12 Escape
      I have centrifical installed and love it, but was just doing some pondering.....

5. tmsoko

tmsoko Active Member

City, State:
      Plymouth, MI
      2010 Adrenalin
      Overall I believe the centrifugal is more efficeint, thereby drawing less load. There is a great book by Corky Bell about superchargers and lays everything out. It has been about a year since i read the book and my memory is crap, so don't remember all details.

As for the roots, it compresses the air, just not steadily like a centrifugal or twin screw. The roots comresses the air all at once when it pushes a "packet" of air into the discharge manifold. This is the least efficient means of compression and creates most heat. The centrifugal and twin screw compress air steadily as it passes through the unit, adding less heat and taking less energy to drive.

For a heavy explorer, my bid is for the roots or twin screw. I made a custom kit for my explorer engine in my Ranger, just so I could have a twin screw. Nothing beats it for bottom end torque. Full boost at 1800rpm! Torque curve looks like a table top.

6. BeauJ

BeauJ Moderator Emeritus

Full boost at 1800? Must be nice. But cruising down the interstate at 70 MPH, you might have some problems with me.

I love the centrifugal because I can drive all the time normally and not make the boost kick in at all. Although I've yet to go a day without getting on it, it is possible. As for gas mileage too, mine has stayed the same.

7. smiley1

smiley1 Active Member

City, State:
      central coast, Ca
      1998 XLT V8 AWD
      Sounds like you two need to go race. :)

It would be interesting to see who wins a 1/4 mile race. Just for fun...

8. tmsoko

tmsoko Active Member

City, State:
      Plymouth, MI
      2010 Adrenalin
      Highway is great in mine as well. I normally cruise at 75-80mph with ~10inches of vacuum. Touch the throttle and instantly pops to the positive and away we go. Of course 4:10 gears helps the fun! 80Mph = ~2700rpm. Gas mileage did go down in mine about 1.5mpg, but I think it is because of my heavy foot.

I did not get to the track this year, but will be out for the first run in May. By then, I could have a few mods though: custom long tube headers and water intercooled discharge manifold. Depending on finances may have the 349 stroker in too...

9. BeauJ

BeauJ Moderator Emeritus

I don't ever pay attention to what my vacuum is when I'm riding down the interstate. 349 you say? Sounds nice. I had the same thought for a while.