1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rotella Oil

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by 03 exploder, July 12, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 03 exploder

03 exploder New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '03 XLT
    I know this oil is intended for diesel engines, but is it safe to use for my gasoline engines? Oil is oil right ;)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. n2epv

n2epv Active Member

City, State:
    Pittsfield, MA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    04 XLT 4.6, 01 Jetta VR6
    There is a school of thought that Rotella of the proper viscosity grade is actually better for your engine than 'gasoline engine' certified oil. Seems the oil companies quietly removed an additive called ZZDP from all but Rotella (actually all diesel lube oil as well as 'Racing' motor oil still have it). ZZDP is a zinc compound that helps protect engine parts from damage by friction.

The issue with ZZDP is that it can kill catalytic converters, creating an added expense for the auto companies as they normally warrant your converters for a lot more miles than your engine . This ZZDP additive seems to be most important if you have high-friction engine components - like turbochargers or flat tappet lifters. Modern engines all use roller tappets, but the web sites covering classic cars talk about using ZZDP a lot.

I haven't tried Rotella in any of my cars yet, but even my '94 Lincoln has a 4.6 (with roller tappets), so maybe I won't. It does have me wondering if I could have saved the flat lifters from destroying themselves in my 4.0 Jeep, though. I hadn't heard of this back when I was driving the Jeep.