Rough engine, but goes back and forth between rough and smooth | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough engine, but goes back and forth between rough and smooth

d3ath101

Reaction score
City, State
Amherst, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xl 4x4
hey. Just wondering if anyone would know what is causing this. My 1995 explorer xl, 4x4. 4.0 OHC v6 decides every now and then to drive really bad. the engine lacks power, drives really rough, and the engine causes bad shaking while driving at low rpms. At high rpms it lacks power, and is really rough. The part I dont get, is that it will decide all of a sudden to drive perfectly again. And have all of its power back. It drives at speed and gets to 85 while both driving smooth, and rough. It decides as i am driving to drive rough, or smooth, and changes as i am driving. There is no pattern to it. I cleaned MAF, IAC. and put a new, new coil in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump

Please help me guys and gals. Today i took it out and it was really rough, more than usual. but it still drove at 70 on the 990. and it is deff engine related.

bump

anyone, still got this problem, i asked another friend, and said it could be a clogged injecter. possibility?

Check out the link in my signature. Do the IAC/intake cleaning, seafoam, and spark plugs vid. Sounds like thatll fix ur problems.

Fixed

Well, its been a couple of weeks now, since i last posted, found out the problem was injector #4 was bad. Replaced and it is a new truck! If anyone has vibration from engine when driving (when its at a lower rpm) check ur injectors!

Back