Rough Idle...need info for rubber elbow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle...need info for rubber elbow

Brits02Sport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport
I posted this on the end of some one else's thread but thought I should start my own.
My '02 4.0 v6 explorer sport. Runs fine, has ck engine light on (but has been on/off for a while). Problem is with the idle. It will sit at about 600rpm then intermittently it will drop and act like its going to stall (has stalled a cpl times). Its worse with the ac on (extra load).
I believe I have located this rubber elbow (passenger side, connects to engine and then another hard pipe that runs round the back of the engine). I believe its part of the vacuum system. There is a smaller hose over the top of it.
Anyway there is a hissing noise that gets louder when I move this elbow up & down slightly, and it is obviously collapsing slightly but I cannot see a split from the top.
UPDATE:There is a big split on the underside of this rubber elbow!! I managed to check while it was cold.
Now question is: What size elbow/hose do I need and where to get it. Also how does this attach? Does it just pull off both ends? It looks like there may be some sort of clip on the bottom of the elbow at the engine end.

I was pointed to this elbow from this thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217062

Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another update:
I just got the old one off....its 5/8 ID (inside diameter) with a massive split on the under side.
Gotta find one now :)

Problem solved!!

Last update:
================PROBLEM SOLVED======================
THANKS TO THIS FORUM FOR POINTING ME TO IT.

Now idles smoothly at 400rpm in drive with a/c on full, 550 with a/c off.
In park its 500 rpm.
I had to check the dash to see if it was still running at a red light.

I bought a heater hose with a 90 degree bend from Advance Auto for $8.98 + tax. Had to trim the lengths on each side to fit. Internal diameter was perfect.
Advance Auto Parts: Moulded Heater Hose. Part # 300118
BTW: Hose just pushes on without any clips or clamps.

I hope this helps someone else out!

Thanks again for this forum.

PHOTOS:

http://media1.youshare.com/uploads/Brit/26833732b5b7d56a.jpg?998ebe8fb6d3cb1d.jpg
http://media1.youshare.com/uploads/Brit/998ebe8fb6d3cb1d.jpg?4510eb7b1b63197a.jpg
http://media1.youshare.com/uploads/Brit/d691c6ea2cd9b1b7.jpg?4510eb7b1b63197a.jpg

I did this because I had the same elbow with a hole in it. Now I am getting a new code P1400.

I have added links to pictures but couldn't see how to add them to the post.

Could you take a pic of the hose a little bit further, so i can locate this cause is a little hard to find.

Thanks.

I really don't think it can be any clearer.
If you stand at the front looking at the engine. It's at the left side down beside the plastic cover that has 4.0 SOHC on it (its easier to get to if you remove the cover). And its to the right of where the oil fill is.
But this is only if you have the same engine I guess.

I guess is a little different, but thanks a lot, i'll remove the cover anyway.

This fourm and mainly this post saved me from losing my mind.
To all that share their experiences a big thank you!
Trouble codes were showing lean on both banks, engine light, sitting at a light going chug chug chug..and then stalling. It was ugly to say the least.

I guess is a little different, but thanks a lot, i'll remove the cover anyway.

On an '02 four door, it will be located on the driver's side rear of the engine. It's curved around where the throttle cable goes through the fire wall. It connects the intake manifold to the valve cover.

On an '02 four door, it will be located on the driver's side rear of the engine. It's curved around where the throttle cable goes through the fire wall. It connects the intake manifold to the valve cover.

I already check that one and is in good shape, my mechanic told me that the intake manifold gasket have a little leak, i'll replace then and let all you know.

Thanks anyway,

Last update:

In park its 500 rpm.

I bought a heater hose with a 90 degree bend from Advance Auto for $8.98 + tax. Had to trim the lengths on each side to fit. Internal diameter was perfect.

PHOTOS:

http://media1.youshare.com/uploads/Brit/26833732b5b7d56a.jpg?998ebe8fb6d3cb1d.jpg
http://media1.youshare.com/uploads/Brit/998ebe8fb6d3cb1d.jpg?4510eb7b1b63197a.jpg
http://media1.youshare.com/uploads/Brit/d691c6ea2cd9b1b7.jpg?4510eb7b1b63197a.jpg

Wow. This is exactly what mine looked like. I had already wasted $120 or so replacing the EGR valve and that other little thing pretty close to it. I should have signed up here sooner.

just saw this - one more question!

2001 Sport - always had a rough idle, but dealer never found anything wrong. Now i'm off the warranty - never has stalled though - should I bother replacing this or leave well enough alone?

Hi: I'd like to thank you for the info on the hose for sport Explorer. My husband Jim was a mechanic for many years, Ford Certified once upon a time. He has done a little of everything. He has Stage Four Cancer now and things are a little harder for him, but he is still John Wayne. That hose was exactly what our problem was and we really didn't have the extra dollars to spend changing out everything that it could have been. If it were a Mustang '63 '64' (he redid one for his boy) or a '68 he sold when his Mom died to help out, he could have fixed it even now. Thanks a bunch!

Thanks Guy's

Last update:

In park its 500 rpm.

(Ditto) on the thanks for this forum...I have been working on my sport trac for 2 weeks now and it was giving me 2 different codes I replaced the DPFE and number 1 bank inboard 02 sensor but still ran like it had a 671 blower on it ...When I came in here and seen the reference to the hose went right to the garage and checked the hose much to my surprise there it was just as you said... I went to advance picked up the hose wala smooth as a baby's behind now .... Thanks and kudo's to you all for the help....

Yeah, I do not have an idle issue right now but I can tell someone got lazy who use to have this car and put a cheap hose on my Ex. I plan to replace it soon, it just bugs me.

Thank you for the information. Checked my moms truck and found a colaped pcv elbow. Saved us hundered of dollars not having to take it to a mechanic.
Im the fix everything for my entire family. Thanks Again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What the Inner diameter of the hose? i have a 2002 explorer sport trac im fixing for a friend but dont know the hose diameter

Back