rough idle, stalling engine please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rough idle, stalling engine please help

drakeguy22

Reaction score
City, State
Lyons Falls, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
okay here is the low down... i had 2 plug wires melt on my valve cover while traveling on the thruway.... obviously caused some problems.... fixed that(new plugs and wires) but now it will not idle for the life of it when its warm.... its standard, 4.0 OHV. i have no clue whats up.... i checked all the vacuum lines and they all seem to be good. it has a new fuel filter and a fresh oil change.. every time i push the clutch in to go to a stop sign it stalls out... can someone please help?!?!?!
the plug wires were corroded..... they were the stockers... made a decent light show on the valve cover

and if it doesnt stall the engine goes down to about 500 rpm then jumps to 1500 then back down and so on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drake, have you run codes yet? That would be a good place to start. It could be an EGR/DPFE/IAC/emissions problem, the codes should help...

i dont have a code reader yet... =(

You can head up to Autozone, Advance, Schucks, etc- they usually read them for free. But- have them read, write them down, and post them here before buying parts from them...

[EDIT: I just looked up where Inlet, NY is... you may not have a parts store near you- holy CRAP you're in the middle of nowhere!!! :)]

Check my thread- similar OHV issues...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2304757#post2304757

well i bought a Scan Tool cause ive wanted one for a while anyway.... but im getting a P0171 (System Too Lean Bank 1), P0174 (System Too Lean Bank 2), P0505 (Idle Air Control System) and im also getting a P1000 (OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete) I also see an EVA symbol flashing....
What do these mean and how do i fix em?????

and yes JOE DIRT i am in the middle of nowhere..... got some pretty sweet trails around here tho

the first 2 codes would tend to mean a vac leak at the lines egr valve, intake gaskets or vac lines.

okay okay so heres the deal.... the metal tube that comes off the header, theres 2 nipples that go to a black sensor or something like that... i need to know what the black sensor is???? is it the EGR valve????? its got 2 black hoses that connect to it...

That is your DPFE sensor...

Should be 2 black rubber hoses and an electrical connector...

thatd be it. where do i get one haha nm napa would be a good choice huh

If you can stand a few days for shipping, order one from Rock Auto. There are discount codes on here for them, they're a forum supporter, great fast service, and generally less expensive than the box stores. :)

"EGR Valve Position Sensor" I think you said that you have the OHV- make sure you give them the "X" engine code...

NAPA: ($97.00) CLICK ME

On www.rockauto.com (before discount code)

AC Delco part # 2141356 ($78.00)
Delphi part # TS10163 ($64.00)

wow thats so much cheaper than napa.... at my local napa it was 114 dollars!!! whats the discount code.....

Here you go. Good til 12/27/09
24036492002693 Enter it in "How did you hear about us" at the bottom of the page

I have a similar problem and the engine omission light stays on my codes are:
P0155 , P1151 , P0741 my mechanic suggested changing the 02 sensor , but that made no differance ! Any ideas how to fix this ??

I have a similar problem and the engine omission light stays on my codes are:
P0155 , P1151 , P0741 my mechanic suggested changing the 02 sensor , but that made no difference ! Any ideas how to fix this ??

Check out this page for anyone who has problems like i did

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3363948/6

and rate my ride while your there ;)

i have the ohv 4.0 and i was continually getting the P0171 and P0174 saying that bank one and two were running lean. just like your truck mine was having trouble idling and it also seemed to be underpowered while driving. the problem was that the upper intake manifold gaskets were worn out and flattened, which was causing too much air into the engine. i bought a kit from autozone for pretty cheap that came with everything but the o rings for the fuel injectors. it even had a new gasket for in between the fuel rail and intake manifold. the only specialty tool that i needed was a set of star bits. but that was cheap also. it only took me about 2 hours and that was taking my time and messing around.

here's a good thread on how to replace the gaskets
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171819

thats deff a good write man! but if you check out my cardomain page you'll see i have a few different things on my motor than you do from the factory...

what do you have on your engine other than a cone air filter?

your egr valve position sensor is in the same place mine is. all i did was just unbolt it and move it out of the way while i replaced the gaskets.

i replaced my egr junk before i did the unpper intake gaskets. and i still had the same codes come back on so that's when i replaced the upper intake manifold gaskets and it finally took care of the problem.

i'm just trying to help give a little info on what was wrong with my truck bc it sounds like your having the same trouble i was

on a side note how much backspacing do you have on those 15x10's on your page

Back