1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rough Running Need Ideas

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by monkeydude3, December 27, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. monkeydude3

monkeydude3 Active Member

City, State:
      Millbrook, Illinois
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 Explorer Sport Trac
      Hello all~
      I have a 1994 XL, 4X2 with 4.0L v6 OHV pushrod and 5 speed manual trans. 135k miles. Right now my problem is the engine is running really rough. Starts up fine and it drives, but when I hold the shifter I feel it shaking really bad. Also when it idles I hear this popping "spitting" sound out of the tail pipe. When I rev it up in neutral to say about 3000k rpm, I hear it running and making the same popping noise but louder...Not sure of the cause. I'm suspecting either my timing chain or my ignition coil. SO FAR it has a new trans and clutch (6k miles on those), new front and rear brakes, new plugs, wires, new fuel injectors, all emissions parts are new except the cats, new muffler and exhaust... front end all tight... Running rough and aggrevating me... I figure the coil is starting to go because a lot of people tell me it is a misfire, which seems logical. I wonder could the coil be bad, or could the voltage to the coil be bad (a short), or could my timing chain be starting to get some significant slack, causing my valve timing to be off.... anyone who's had this problem or knows of this problem let me know!! I will end up checking all these ideas. I'm at a point where if I give up all the previous work will be wasted, and also it sure is a nice truck! thanks

take care
      GEORGE

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      If I suspected a misfire like that, the first thing I would do is a cylinder balance test, to see which cylinder(s) the misfire is isolated to. On a '94, the computer is capable of performing a cylinder balance test for you (see cylinder balance test at www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html). If the computer's test doesn't indicate a bad cylinder, then run the cylinder balance test manually by pulling spark plug wires, just in case the fault is one of the injectors.