RPM trouble. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I just recently got a 2000 Explorer XLT from my parents. They never bothered taking care of it since they just bought a new Tahoe instead and don't feel that it's worth putting much more money into >:[. I've replaced the ball joints and got the fuel filter changed. Now I'm having a problem with the engine, when I'm stopped I notice that the RPM rises as if I'm revving the engine, it rises in between the 1 and 2 then drops back down. It gets worse if it's in park, sometimes going up to 3. I can hear a "clicking" noise in between the increases in RPM, I've seen the O/D light off once when it was doing this. Does anyone know what this might be? Thanks in advance. I'd like to save this truck, It's great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had a similar problem with my old ford focus i used to commute in. couldn't figure out what it was so i took it to my mechanic, and it turns out it was a vacum tube that needed to be replaced. cost me 60 bucks. if you're lucky, that's what it is. if you're not so lucky, it could be a problem with your transmission, especially if your OD light is flickering on and off. and if that's the case, you will be spending over a grand trying to get a rebuilt transmission put in. it could also be something simple like your fuel pump or fuel filter, a dirty air filter, or your distributor wires needing to be replaced. if you plan on fixing it yourself, i would start with the most practical solutions like the filters or wires or sparkplugs, if none of that works, take it to a mechanic you trust and get the transmission looked at. good luck.

Is the Check Engine Light on? Advance Auto Parts store will read it free for you...
...or your distributor wires needing to be replaced.
First he would have to have a distribuitor in the car, to be able to replace the wires to it. I would suggest not to send somebody in wild geese chases if you don't know what are you talking about.

Yes, the check engine light is on. My parents never took it to get looked at as far as I remember. I will take it though, I didn't know Advanced Auto did that. Also the O/D light doesn't regularly turn on when this happens. It only did it once, I remember the Explorer would feel as if it wanted to turn off in cold weather. I don't know if that's part of the same problem though.

When you "let go" a problem in a car, sometimes creates problems in other places too...

I just realized that it only does this when I turn the AC or the Max AC on. The other air controls don't affect it.

Maybe you need to replace the IAC valve... Read the code thou.

I'll check it out with my mechanic. Someone had told me that it had to do with a valve/tube.

EGR valve/tube might be another culprit..

take it easy, i meant the sparkplug wires. and yes, if his OD light is coming on and off without him doing anything, it most likely is a transmission problem, and yes, you can get that and your engine light checked for free by any honest mechanic. you can even get it read free at aamco. im not some engine know it all guru that you apprearantly are, ive just experienced the same problems before as this young man has.

@lono100
Well, he seems to be a young guy, unexperienced, he won't know the difference. I would hate to see it looking/asking for inexisting things (like a distribuitor in a 2000 Explorer).
That's all I said... not that I am some kind of a guru.

Back