Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rubbing/creaking sound

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Jenikins, August 6, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Jenikins

Jenikins New Member

City, State:
    Moorpark, Ca
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Explorer 2017 limited
    Hi all! I am new here and was hoping to get some help - hopefully a solution so that I can go back to loving my explorer. I have a 2017 limited explorer. For almost a year now there has been a rubbing/creaking noise coming from somewhere in the back of my car. I believe it might be the plastic of the tailgate but it’s very hard to determine where it is coming from when you are driving! Has anyone dealt with a similar sound? What was the culprit? For the record, I’ve moved the chairs up and down to see if it’s worse or better with no luck. Pushed on the sunroof to make sure nothing is loose up there - and it’s silent.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Crates

Crates New Member

City, State:
    Windsor, Ont
    2014 Explorer AWD Limited
    On my 2014 I have a creak sound that can be heard at the back of the vehicle whenever driving slow over minor bumps.

I found if I lift up on the rear fender enough to cause the suspension to move a small amount I can re-create it when parked.

Unfortunately I haven’t had someone else present to assist with the lifting while I crawl underneath and pinpoint the source, but I believe it’s either a control arm or sway bar.

4. 03WIExplorerLtd

03WIExplorerLtd Active Member

2011 Explorer FWD base
    Sounds like sway bar links

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    Do you know if the noise is inside or outside? Maybe you could have someone 'bounce' the back end to see if you can isolate it.

Peter