Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Rumble strip vibration 2004 limited v8

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by exploderlimited, March 3, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. exploderlimited

exploderlimited New Member

City, State:
    buffalo ny
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 explorer 4.0 4x4
    hey i had this explorer for about 6 months now, it has bought it with 115k now it has about 120k. the only real complaint i have is that when im coasting between 45 and 50mph I get this pretty noticeable on and off vibration like rumble strips. if i downshift out of overdrive its much more significant, if i shift into neutral it goes away completely. The transmission shifts perfect, and there is no vibration under hard accelerations.

All the wheel bearing are tight, replaced the U Joints and all the tires are balanced. im not sure if this could be a half shaft issue or not. if i put the truck in 4 high the vibration doesnt happen. so im thinking that takes the load of the rear of the truck.

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BREXP04

BREXP04 New Member

City, State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 Eddie Bauer
    2004 Eddie Bauer

At 85k I am experiencing similar problems. I always have the rumble strip effect when slowing down, not accelerating. Trans, drive axles, diffs, and drive shafts all seem fine. I had a Transmission Tech drive mine and he said, it acts like its trying to go into 4 wheel drive. So I took it home and removed the front drive shaft and the vibs went away. Not sure exactly what this means and I'm looking for further directions.