Rumble/Vibration coming from rear end while turning and accelerating from stop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rumble/Vibration coming from rear end while turning and accelerating from stop

ThumbBum

Reaction score
City, State
Utica, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer
Nice long title huh?
Ive got a 2002 EB with 99,500miles on it.
A few weeks ago I noticed a slight vibration and rumbling noise coming form the rear-end while turning and accelerating from a complete stop. Making a left turn at a light or pulling out of a driveway into traffic for example. It only last for a second or two but it seems to be slowly getting worse. At first I thopught it was a differential problem, but from what Ive read on this forum it seems like most differential problems on these vehicles cause a howling noise at high speeds or a clanking noise while turning. This is more of a rumbling noise. Kind of like that sound disc brakes make the first time they engage after the vehicle has sat out in the rain for a day or two.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the same problem on my explorer right now. im pretty sure its the hub or axle

if you have LSD in the back that will cause it too if the clutches are worn. If you have a factory ClassIII or a diff code of L4 it should be LSD. 55 are open diffs and don't have the same issue. Other than that it could be the outer wheel bearings or the diff bearings. . . .outer bearings the noise should change in turns as you load and unload the bearings. diffs Bearings change on acceleration or braking both are a weak point.

Hey...just thought I might post this as it is an on going issue with Explorers with the limited slip...this is a post from a few weeks ago and I am sure it will answer your questions or at least let you know what the problem is. Helped me out HUGE.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1429415&postcount=2

Good luck and happy Explorations!

I have a 2004 XLT. I've begun experiencing vibrations (feels liek its coming from rear end) as I accelerate over 50 MPH and also while decelerating. Has anybody experienced a similar issue?

I have a 2004 XLT. I've begun experiencing vibrations (feels liek its coming from rear end) as I accelerate over 50 MPH and also while decelerating. Has anybody experienced a similar issue?

i have a similar vibration. I have never tried to figure it out. My best guess is that it is bad U-joints in the driveshafts.

I had the same issue with mine. Ford offers an additive that you just dump into the rear end through the filler plug in the rear diff. It takes no more than 5 min, Its 5 bucks from the dealer and it solved my problem! i think its called Limited Slip Friction Modifier or something along those lines. Do it!

Back