Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Running antenna coax into cab?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by Paraphoe, March 30, 2007.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Bwana Bob

Bwana Bob Active Member

City, State:
    Morris Plains, NJ
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    92 XLT
    I don't like running coax through weatherstripping, unless its for temporary use. In the short term you may get wind noise. In the long term, the weatherstripping will leak and the cable will get pinched.

Try running the cable between the rear hatch and the body, down to the bumper. Run the cable through the gap between the plastic bumper cover and down underneath the vehicle. Then run the cable forward along the driver's side frame rail, securing it with cable ties.

Inside the truck, remove the driver's side kick panel, by the parking brake. In the floor there is a rubber plug. (The driver's side is preferred because the computer is behind the passenger side kick panle and you don't want an RF cable near it). Remove the plug and run a snake wire down through the hole. The snake will come out under the truck through a hole in the body behind the fender. Pull the cable up through this hole and into the cab. Slit the rubber plug, run the cable through it. Reinstall the plug and waterproof it with a little RTV. Run the cable under the dashboard to the radio, install the connector, and you're done.

Bob

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. AAnnddrreeww

AAnnddrreeww Active Member

City, State:
    Triad, NC
    '01 XLT 4x4
    Got a new mount today at wireless communications and hes got one that bolds on to the inside of the fender between the hood and the fender.

Any ideas on running coax when mounted on the fender?

4. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Into the engine compartment and through a hole in the firewall. There are a couple spots with rubber caps that you can poke a hole in.

5. SkanlaxJMO

SkanlaxJMO Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Syracuse, New York
    96 XLT
    i ran my coax for my magnet mount down the roof rack rails and through the back hatch.

6. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
    Mine runs through the gromet on the firewall (passnger side).. Not the gromet with the ECM wires, the other one...

~Mark

7. jamessmithii

jamessmithii New Member

City, State:
    dc, washington
    2007 sport trac
    im installing a back up camera in my 2007 sport trac, where is a good location that will allow me to run my wires to the outside of the truck? the wires will plug into my double din dash displace from there it will got out side.

8. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    I ran my brake controller wires on the outside of the vehicle, tie-wrapped to the frame, and then up through a plug on the side, and down the wire channels under the door sill covers. It's pretty clean.

I also just installed a new antenna yesterday, on the side of the hood, and found a new spot for the coax. There is a plug in the door frame. I ran it through there, and it pops out just by the emergency brake. Tuck it behind the plastic panel, under the carpet, and to the console. Worked great (other than the scratch I put on my door while jamming a screwdriver in there :(). I've got to get pictures later. It was hot out, so I didn't even think about getting photos in-progress.

Last edited: July 27, 2008
  9. jamessmithii

jamessmithii New Member

City, State:
    dc, washington
    2007 sport trac
    I just installed the nav yesterday in my sport trac. was worried about where to place the antenna for it. i was able to use the location where the back light mounts to the roof. i ran my wires down though that up in the roof cavity and down the front window case (where they got those handles located) and into the radio.

10. patman

patman Active Member

City, State:
    lincoln NE
    '96 sport
    why is everyone so afraid to drill holes in their vehicles?am i the only one who;s not? i just drill a hole and get a good gromet so it doesn't let warm air out or cold air/noise in...and it's really easy to get a gromet wether you use a pre-existing one or buy one or go to a junkyard and take one out of a junker

11. jamessmithii

jamessmithii New Member

City, State:
    dc, washington
    2007 sport trac
    it just makes it easier if there one already in the truck. it would save me time for doing all that drilling and trying to get a piece to match it.

12. Mdncool

Mdncool New Member

1998 Sport
    Is that the butt of a shotgun next to the antenna??

13. patrick112390

patrick112390 Active Member

City, State:
    Alpharetta ga
    97' mountaineer 5.0 4406
    prolly-thats where mine stays :D nice little spot