running at 18 volts

Limited Ex

Elite Lurker
Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
I noticed the other day that my battery needle is running over at 18 volts. I drove it tonight, still running at 18 volts, and noticed that my lights would sometimes pulse along with the idle of my engine. But, a little while later, it went back to normal and has not done it the rest of the night. Any ideas?Something I should be worried about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know what wou8ld cause that, but if the guage needle is in the red, that is bad for the electrical system.
You should get your alternator tested for free at a shop like autozone....

Sounds like your voltage regulator may not be working properly. It's located in (on the rear) of the alternator. You definitely should get it checked out because it can fry other vehicle components if you don't get it fixed.

Jeff is correct. It sounds like the voltage regulator is about to fail. Depending on how old it is, you would be better off replacing the alternator/regulator as a unit. That way there will be no questions as to the condition of the alternator.

You might want to check with a voltmeter, the gauge might be malfunctioning.

I drove it this morning, and everything seemed fine. I hope it's not the alternator, I have not had it a year. I got it from mr.alternator.com, 130 amp. I have a friend that works at Advance Auto, so I may take it there and see if there is something wrong with it:(

Got the same problem w/ my sport. Only seems to overcharge when I am driving for long distance/higher speeds, I usually turn on lights or other acc. to bleed off extra volts. Guess i should replace it one of these days

Yeah, I would get it tested out first. Most well known places will do it for free. If they say it's fine, and don't know why it did that, you just might wanna reset your ECU, and then see what happens.

Back