Running Boards - DeeZee and Others | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice setup. I wish we had the Limited in blue here in the Philippines.

Oh man.... I like those side steps better than the dee zee running boards and the side steps.

After taking a closer look at these EGR side steps from various websites, it seems that there is visible gap. It's not totally integrated like what I expect. I'm particularly looking for some side steps like the ones installed on BMWs or Mercedes. They have something like that installed for Kia Sorento.

2PF37%20AC000-2.jpg

Hopefully, someone will manufacture an after market like this for the Explorer.

after taking a closer look at these egr side steps from various websites, it seems that there is visible gap. It's not totally integrated like what i expect. I'm particularly looking for some side steps like the ones installed on bmws or mercedes. They have something like that installed for kia sorento.

2pf37%20ac000-2.jpg

hopefully, someone will manufacture an after market like this for the explorer.

+1

Very Poor Packaging Continues

Hi

I recently purchased a 2013 Explorer and joined this forum a few weeks ago.

I've read through this entire Dee Zee running boards thread and was excited to get them installed on my new truck. Unfortunately I made the mistake of assuming Dee Zee would have addressed their packaging problem by now.

They have NOT.

I received my running boards and brackets in two separate boxes last week. Unfortunately I was not home when they arrived and my wife signed for them. Had I been home, I would have refused shipment because the running board box was damaged on both ends. The ends are mostly torn open/apart. And after poking my fingers inside a little, I can easily see that at least one of the boards inside is damaged on the end.

I have PM'd my order number to AJ and will call Auto Anything on Monday for a full refund. I won't order these again until I have 100% assurance that Dee Zee has cleaned up their act. I place partial blame on Auto Anything for not having the issue addressed by now. I suggest they top selling this product until Dee Zee fixes the packaging issue.

By the way, the brackes box arrived a little less banged up but was not compromised, as far as I can see (have not opened it).

These running boards look great on the Explorer from the photos I have seen. I'll post again in a month or two if/when the issue gets resolved.

Spineman

That's disappointing. Thanks for posting though :)

Spineman, don't count on any changes. I worked closely with AutoAccessoriesGarage and DeeZee when I had all of my issues. They promised they would resolve it. 6 months and many unhappy customers later, it's still not resolved. We are talking about some 10 cent foam to fix the issue, but I guess that would eat into their 200% markup.

While not good news, thank you for the feedback, I have escalated this issue up the chain.

I was just about to order these running boards from autoanything because of the CYBER Monday deals.

Anyone care to share the quality of updated Dee Zee NXC boards? If no change, then anyone care to share how have the Dee Zee NXC boards perform after you've first installed them?

Just want to make sure I'm getting my $288 worth for a set of boards. Many thanks!

Ok, after 3 months the new custom tabs seem to be holding up pretty well

thanks for the info, we looked at these running boards, now i will look into different tabs before installation.

DeeZee Refund Update

I was just about to order these running boards from autoanything because of the CYBER Monday deals.

Anyone care to share the quality of updated Dee Zee NXC boards? If no change, then anyone care to share how have the Dee Zee NXC boards perform after you've first installed them?

Just want to make sure I'm getting my $288 worth for a set of boards. Many thanks!

Here's my (final) update on these boards.

Apparently DeeZee is pinning the blame on UPS for the failure of their packaging. Without any warning from DeeZee or AutoAnything, a UPS guy stopped by my home on three occasions to check on the shipment.

The first time was to "inspect" the box. And the second was to claim it for an investigation. The third time UPS knocked on my door was to claim the brackets box for return shipment to DeeZee (no apparent damage to the contents with this one, although the box was crunched quite a bit due to the lack of internal insulation.

I got two separate refunds totaling the full amount from AutoAnything.

Clearly the blame here falls on DeeZee. But a little blame should go to Auto Anything because they are still selling this product. I'd suggest they remove it from their site until the packaging is fixed.

I just noticed there is even another thread on problems with DeeZee.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364346

I am hoping to get the EGR Side Steps that were discussed here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371357. They do require a little drilling but look about as OEM as I have seen yet. And I don't mind the small visible gap.

What I don't understand is why Ford doesn't make optional side steps.

Thanks for the update. I will wait til a set of running boards come out. If you do install the EGRs, then please post pics.

Like you, I wonder why Ford did not make an OEM running board for the EX. Calling Ford engineers...oh Ford engineers...

Hey guys,
Just bought my 13 XLT and was looking into getting running boards to help my daughter get in and out of the Explorer. Quick questions, i see everyone says its easy to install. Can i install these without havin to look for a mechanic with a lift (i.e. in my driveway)? Is there a video where it shows how to get them installed, step by step instead of reading it from a piece of paper? Thanks guys!!

Hey C0bra, welcome to the forum. I have these on our Ex, and no lift is required, though the ability to be flexible is helpful :)

I'm not sure of any videos, but the installation isn't that difficult. The first side took about an hour, the other side took about 20 minutes (once you figure it all out, it goes quickly). If I had moved the car to the center of the garage, things probably would have gone faster for the first side, having more room to scoot myself and the parts around.

Hi All,

First time poster here. Just picked up my white 2013 Ex Limited with 302 package today. Love it so far!!

My only issue is I think I misjudged how big it actually is and the kids are having a difficult time getting in and out. I even struggle sometimes...lol

I live in Toronto, Canada and saw this thread about the DeeZee running boards. Anyone know where I can pick them up here and have them professionally installed? I'm not a real good handy guy so prefer someone else do it.

Thanks for the help.....lots of reading to do...so much to learn!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://youtu.be/ig4-iOA-KGI

Hey guys,
Just bought my 13 XLT and was looking into getting running boards to help my daughter get in and out of the Explorer. Quick questions, i see everyone says its easy to install. Can i install these without havin to look for a mechanic with a lift (i.e. in my driveway)? Is there a video where it shows how to get them installed, step by step instead of reading it from a piece of paper? Thanks guys!!

I installed them in about 90 minutes. on the ground. I had about 4 inches of clearance between my nose and the mount points under the explorer so I was ok not using a lift. (Large to XL hat size):) The directions were clear enough with photos so you should be ok. To do a video you really need the explorer on a lift to get the lighting right ( my opinion anyhow)

Tools - Small LED flashlight, you'll need this to make sure oblong nut-washer stays in correct position, screwdriver to hold the oblong nut in place, 13mm socket. You may need the 13mm open end wrench but another trick is to pre-thread the 30mm bolts onto the nuts. There is a bit of paint in the treads and this will keep the oblong nuts from spinning inside the sheet metal under the explorer. Trust me, your thumb and index finder will thank me later. Don't use a 1/2 inch ratchet because you'll over tighten the mounts and the nuts will bend. Use a torch wrench or common sense:)

By the way brackets are insanely heavy duty, you'll destroy your explorer before these will come off.

Manufacturing Wish list: Wish Dee Zee would close the gap a bit. I'll tell Dee Zee how you can make the bracket .75 higher. Use a square nut in the board channel rather than the square top screw and thread from beneath. This will prevent the need for the gap when setting the boards on the pre-installed mounting brackets.

I went with the chrome, I may regret the decision in 366 days but I can pick up the stainless for around $259 if needed. Wish the stainless came down a little on the side to appear in side view which is what drove my decision to go with the chrome-ish model.

I bought from autoanything. No complaints. The brackets (heavy- were loose in the box tumbling around by UPS but I think that was Dee Zee's doing and Not AA. (Just a little odd) Cheap price but know what you want ahead of time because you'll pay 15% restocking + shipping. They also will not separate bracket from boards on purchase so you'll have to demount the brackets or cough up another $326+15%+15% so you can cross ship.

http://youtu.be/ig4-iOA-KGI

Back