Running Boards - DeeZee and Others | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just recieved my Dee Zee running board with chrome trim today here in New Brunswick Canada. Ordered them from Carid.com and they were backordered from the factory. Took over a month and a half to get here. Delivered by UPS. Box was in perfect condition. No damage to the running boards at all. Came in a cardboard box. Only protection was at then ends with styrofoam and a pc of styrofoam separating the running boards. Impressed. They could have been easily damaged as there is minimal protection provided.

While I've had running boards on my many Excursions and ford 250's, and loved them...
imho, not a fan of them when they are not "NEEDED" to climb up into the vehicle...

what I found was that
they either got in the way or
any inclement weather and they stained your pant legs...

but, so far, here in America you can still do SOME things to your own vehicle - so go fer it !

ATS SL Running Boards

Hello everyone,

Back in december I mentioned here in the forums that if they fixed the smell issue on the explorer we will buy one, and so we did.
I have to say that we are very happy with the Explorer, we got the 302A package, bucket seats, center console, tow package, sunroof, in other words, all the goodies. First thing I did was buy the mud flaps to prevent the vehicle from getting so dirty, it did help a lot.
second was the running boards. I settle for the ATS SL running boards and decided to match the color of the running boards with the vehicle, pictures don't really do justice. See for yourself.

Before

DSC_0562_zps9a4bbb4f.jpg

DSC_0564_zpscd9afa7b.jpg

DSC_0565_zpse739bf43.jpg

After

DSC_0566_zpsda117c18.jpg

DSC_0567_zpsdbc5aad2.jpg

DSC_0568_zpscc10d6e3.jpg

DSC_0569_zps7cf522bc.jpg

DSC_0570_zps2be34514.jpg

The running boards are holding on strong, and they help us getting into the vehicle with much ease, Ford should have provided the option for running boards from the factory, not everyone is 6'5" tall.

The running boards were not the cheapest option out there, so if you are in a budget, these are probably not for you. Installation was not easy either, as the instructions that came with the package were not clear or provided enough explanations as to which bolts have to be used in certain places, they were all different and I kinda had to figure out. I also had to cut some pieces from underneath to slide some bolts. I work on cars constantly, so my experience helped me to overcome all this and get them installed, but if you don't have lots of tools or are not car oriented then you might need help from someone.

Overall, the running boards were an excellent purchase, they do the job and look very nice with the matching color of the vehicle. Installation wasn't easy at first, but then I got the hang of it and did the second running board under 15 minutes. Any questions, feel free to ask :D

mike out! :salute:

Looks nice!!

Nice lookin vehicle MikeTheExplorer! We do sell alot of the ATS SL boards for the Ford Explorer and everyone of our customers totally love them. Good luck with your ride.

yup, next step is to paint that horrible black trim around the vehicle, I want a clean look on my car

It's not so bad if your Sport is already black :)

I'm looking at some boards too, but thinking I want the powered steps like AMP's,
since the sport is lower than the non-sports and so somewhat 'in the middle' of being too low and too tall...

Running Boards Installed DEE ZEE

photola_zps7e236999.jpg

photods_zps9ac91b5d.jpg

photops_zpse6c94b8f.jpg

840da622-138f-4c6d-a5c7-53e6cb1dd095_zps6f192bfd.jpg

2c075750-ef0f-427a-9461-ea9194f88522_zps496940d8.jpg

39869883-d729-461b-b39f-88a149792706_zps3a40bc10.jpg

Took me about an hour to install them in my garage. Pretty easy install. I thought it would be a little more challenging. I was impressed with the directions that came with them. This will be my last mod for a while. My mods consist of

Injen Short Ram Intake
Husky Liners, 1st 2nd and 3rd row plus the large liner for the back
Black shark fin antenna
Dee Zee running boards
HID headlights from Coolbulbs.com 6K
Gel Overlays
Window rain deflectors

Next project will be swapping the interior lighting to LED,,,,,

Looks great, I have the same ones on mine except they are the all black ones. I'm still waiting to install the vinyl wrap on my handles. I can't get my head around why Ford would make them chrome. That is currently the only thing remotely shiny on mine aside from the Magnaflow exhaust.

Hey, I've seen you a couple times at Football practice at Scotiabank Park South....I drive the black LTD, I'm sure you've seen me around :) Was wondering if you were on here... the boards look nice!

Yes. Your Ex looks great by the way. Like the way the tuxedo black shines up. See ya at the field.

On the running boards fence...any input?

Hello All,
I have a 2013 sport on order and was trying to decide if I should get running boards, I prefer the look of the Dee Zee's all black. I will soon have 4 little ones ranging from 3-7 years old in my house, but I do live off of Lake Erie and we get a ton of snow. Anybody have any feedback on how your young ones get in and out with/without running boards? How much snow and salt builds up on the Dee Zee's? Thank you for your replies!

Snow build up is minimal. I have youngsters. Without the boards they put their feet on the nice lit up Explorer plate. With it they easily transition into the sled without getting snow and muck all over the place.

Snow build up is minimal. I have youngsters. Without the boards they put their feet on the nice lit up Explorer plate. With it they easily transition into the sled without getting snow and muck all over the place.

Interesting point, thank you!

It's not so bad if your Sport is already black :)

I'm looking at some boards too, but thinking I want the powered steps like AMP's,
since the sport is lower than the non-sports and so somewhat 'in the middle' of being too low and too tall...

I was looking at the powered ones as well, but they don't make them for the explorer........yet!

helps my 3 & 5 yr old in and out of the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only issue I have found with mine is there is ice build up at the front where the fender meets the door, even with mud flaps. You have the option to mount them further back though, I just tried to center them. Other than that, as far as kids are concerned, I would think it would be a great idea.

Back