Running Boards - DeeZee and Others | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My experience with ebay is that there is no guarantee you'll get a "Warranty" especially with big ticket items.

So true... I've checked out other sites and seem to be around the $400-$500 mark for runners and hardware... Guess that's what I'll be spending for quality! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So true... I've checked out other sites and seem to be around the $400-$500 mark for runners and hardware... Guess that's what I'll be spending for quality! ;)

Yeah, that seems like a fair range. These are close to $400 a set before a discount. I was impressed with the third bracket and additional support on each bracket as opposed to the Dee Zee boards which just hang from two brackets. Time will tell.

My 5'1" wife has complained yet, but I think she'll appreciate them, as will my 17mo son who thinks he can do everything himself, lol.

I would say the difficult part was drilling for the middle bracket, it was tough! the video show it was quick but it was difficult for me. When i got to the passenger side, i started with small drill bit and work all the way to 7/16" the required size.

Did you use any particular kind of bit, like a fairly new titanium bit?

Did you use any particular kind of bit, like a fairly new titanium bit?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what kind of drill bit i used. I only borrowed it from work. Here it is

20140309_192224_zpstrntlodd.jpg

Yup..just installed the DZ 16221 brackets onto my '14 Sport. Easy install. Opted for the black/chrome edge. Looks good with my Ruby Red explorer.

Any chance you can post a pictures? Trying to figure out which ones to put on mine.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Back in december I mentioned here in the forums that if they fixed the smell issue on the explorer we will buy one, and so we did.
I have to say that we are very happy with the Explorer, we got the 302A package, bucket seats, center console, tow package, sunroof, in other words, all the goodies. First thing I did was buy the mud flaps to prevent the vehicle from getting so dirty, it did help a lot.
second was the running boards. I settle for the ATS SL running boards and decided to match the color of the running boards with the vehicle, pictures don't really do justice. See for yourself.

Before

DSC_0562_zps9a4bbb4f.jpg

DSC_0564_zpscd9afa7b.jpg

DSC_0565_zpse739bf43.jpg

After

DSC_0566_zpsda117c18.jpg

DSC_0567_zpsdbc5aad2.jpg

DSC_0568_zpscc10d6e3.jpg

DSC_0569_zps7cf522bc.jpg

DSC_0570_zps2be34514.jpg

The running boards are holding on strong, and they help us getting into the vehicle with much ease, Ford should have provided the option for running boards from the factory, not everyone is 6'5" tall.

The running boards were not the cheapest option out there, so if you are in a budget, these are probably not for you. Installation was not easy either, as the instructions that came with the package were not clear or provided enough explanations as to which bolts have to be used in certain places, they were all different and I kinda had to figure out. I also had to cut some pieces from underneath to slide some bolts. I work on cars constantly, so my experience helped me to overcome all this and get them installed, but if you don't have lots of tools or are not car oriented then you might need help from someone.

Overall, the running boards were an excellent purchase, they do the job and look very nice with the matching color of the vehicle. Installation wasn't easy at first, but then I got the hang of it and did the second running board under 15 minutes. Any questions, feel free to ask :D

mike out! :salute:

Hey Everyone, it's been exactly one year since I installed this running boards and I have to say that they are every penny worth. They are not faded, paint still shines like new, no noises, cracks, damages or anything. if someone is looking for running boards, I would spend a few hundred bucks more and get these. you won't be disappointed with the quality. They also fit with the stock mud flaps if anyone is wondering. See you in another year :D

Hey Everyone, it's been exactly one year since I installed this running boards and I have to say that they are every penny worth. They are not faded, paint still shines like new, no noises, cracks, damages or anything. if someone is looking for running boards, I would spend a few hundred bucks more and get these. you won't be disappointed with the quality. They also fit with the stock mud flaps if anyone is wondering. See you in another year :D
Being that you are on the Explorer forum Mike, I would think that you'd give it the top billing in your profile. Not the Acura.;)

Peter

Being that you are on the Explorer forum Mike, I would think that you'd give it the top billing in your profile. Not the Acura.;)

Peter

yeah i gotta update my profile, I'm too lazy :biggthump

anyone know where i can find the brackets from Ionic CXV Running Boards Ford Explorer 2011-2014
i can not get any response from runningboardwarehouse. called twice left several emails. i'm wondering if they even are in business anymore.
anyways surfed the net all over and can not find where i could buy just the brackets. i like the look of them, they seem the strongest!

My new Dee Zee boards

New pics of my ride. I think the crome trim on a white looks sharp.

photo4.jpg

photo3-1.jpg
"]
photo3-1.jpg
[/URL]

They say that the mud guards won't fit with the running boards on, due you think that is ture ?? Please let me know. Thanks.

anyone know where i can find the brackets from Ionic CXV Running Boards Ford Explorer 2011-2014
i can not get any response from runningboardwarehouse. called twice left several emails. i'm wondering if they even are in business anymore.
anyways surfed the net all over and can not find where i could buy just the brackets. i like the look of them, they seem the strongest!
Welcome to the Forum garciasideas.:wavey:
Have you tried the following?

http://autocustoms.com/p-1386-ionic-cxv-running-boards.aspx

It would also help the members here if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it shows up in the left margin.

Peter

Brackets are included. I bought the exact same running board and its included. I havent installed mine as yet but i opened the box and checked. I must say they are of excellent quality also.

You can call Iconic i suppose but i dont think they sell the brackets alone

Brackets are included. I bought the exact same running board and its included. I havent installed mine as yet but i opened the box and checked. I must say they are of excellent quality also.

You can call Iconic i suppose but i dont think they sell the brackets alone

that's cool, i like the way they have the tab that you put in the existing holes and the hardware they include. I plan on making some custom running boards out of 2" stainless pipe with 45's comming from the bracket to keep it tucked tight to the vehichle.

Gideon123's ride look''s good, like the white with chrome

I just removed my running boards. They took a **** kicking this winter. The chrome came off on the corners. Looked like crap as the cheap chrome covering started to peel. Won't endorse the Dee Zee boards. The brackets really make the ground clearance horrible as well. Scraped the brackets more than once. Bent one of them up. Got one year out of them.

I just removed my running boards. They took a **** kicking this winter. The chrome came off on the corners. Looked like crap as the cheap chrome covering started to peel. Won't endorse the Dee Zee boards. The brackets really make the ground clearance horrible as well. Scraped the brackets more than once. Bent one of them up. Got one year out of them.

I started seeing some rust develop after this winter on my Aero nerf bars and was considering the Deezee....but now this definitely changed my mind. First the fact that some people's brackets bent, and now this....I'll be looking at doing some rust touch up and they will be GTG again. Thanks for sharing.

Hi All,
I just wanted to post an update.

I finally got to install my CXV running boards and i really really like the look. Pics were posted by someone else above so i wont post pics - they look exactly the same.

Now, installation was a little painful. Reason for this is you have to drill 6 holes and for some reason the new 7/16 drill bits were not cutting through. I was surpised when i saw the one on the installation video went through like butter. I had new bits and electric and cordless drill guns so just be aware of that.

Anyway once those holes are drilled then everything goes alot faster.

Also for shorter folks when getting out you have to step over the board and it takes a little getting accustomed to. I am 5'10'' and the board does get in the way - at least for the 3 times i got out after installation.

Hope this helps

They say that the mud guards won't fit with the running boards on, due you think that is ture ?? Please let me know. Thanks.

The Dee Zee's fit fine with the factory-ish dealer installed flaps/guards. Wheel well to wheel well is about 75 inches so use that as you guide. Westin, and many of them are 75" so they would be a no-go with the front guards on.

I'm stilling thinking the EGRs but I think you have to drill 8 holes in your baby for the EGRs which I'm not a fan of. The Dee Zees are cheapish and easy. I've yet to see a nerf bar that didn't sag way under the body so Ford and these vendors has made it tough. Anyone who can prove me wrong I'll buy you a beer.

Disclaimer, all the tough guys who say they don't need running boards have an amazon wife and don't have children beating the daylights out of your door sill with soccer cleats:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back