Running Boards - DeeZee and Others | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

re dee zee

They need no drilling as they access existing holes with special bolts and brackets i have on 2012 and i instaled .they are excellent and i would buy again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if there anyone is making retractable running boards for the Ex? I love them on the F250's and the Expeditions but have not seen them for the Ex.

Running boards on XLT

New member here. Just got a 2013XLT 4WD. Wanting to install running boards. Would this be a difficult job. Color of XLT is Silver. Black or silver running boards? Wife has some difficulty getting into Explorer.
Thanks for any suggestions.

chuckrob

5th Gen running boards

Haven't been on here in quite a while...

Just picked up a '14 Sport in Ingot Silver and absolutely love it. One thing it is missing are running boards, so I'm wondering if there any suggestions. I want them to look relatively OEM like the ones on my outgoing '03 Aviator, and these seem to be the closest so far:

http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com/abs-transender-running-board-ford-explorer-2013.aspx

Seems the black would be easy enough to match, but not thrilled about anything that is tubular. Can't recall if the Limited had power boards or not, but will look in to it.

I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same topic.

Peter

Haven't been on here in quite a while...

Just picked up a '14 Sport in Ingot Silver and absolutely love it. One thing it is missing are running boards, so I'm wondering if there any suggestions. I want them to look relatively OEM like the ones on my outgoing '03 Aviator, and these seem to be the closest so far:

http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com/abs-transender-running-board-ford-explorer-2013.aspx

Seems the black would be easy enough to match, but not thrilled about anything that is tubular. Can't recall if the Limited had power boards or not, but will look in to it.

If I can put on some before winter it would be nice - I like these .
Anyone know if these here will fit a 2013 with Ford front & rear mudflaps?

These here fit but all black is key.
http://www.ronusa.com/blog/ford-explorer-running-boards-do-i-have-to-remove-the-mud-guards/

Last edited:

If I can put on some before winter it would be nice - I like these .
Anyone know if these here will fit a 2013 with Ford front & rear mudflaps?

These here fit but all black is key.
http://www.ronusa.com/blog/ford-explorer-running-boards-do-i-have-to-remove-the-mud-guards/

Those appear to be the ATS SL boards, which are shown a page back - they fit between the mud flaps.

After a lot of reading and research, my choice is the Ionic CXV. I believe these are the same as the Steelcraft 113900, and Jeepro WBRF60038, which can be found on eBay or elsewhere on the internet for less than $300. The idea of drilling the pinch weld didn't thrill me at first, but since nut-serts fill in the holes, and the brackets are ridiculously heavy, these appeared to be one of the better sets out there.

Also like the fact that they have the gap strip AND will fit with the Ford splash guards.

Those appear to be the ATS SL boards, which are shown a page back - they fit between the mud flaps.

After a lot of reading and research, my choice is the Ionic CXV. I believe these are the same as the Steelcraft 113900, and Jeepro WBRF60038, which can be found on eBay or elsewhere on the internet for less than $300. The idea of drilling the pinch weld didn't thrill me at first, but since nut-serts fill in the holes, and the brackets are ridiculously heavy, these appeared to be one of the better sets out there.

Also like the fact that they have the gap strip AND will fit with the Ford splash guards.

jrgoffin,
I have them - you will not regret the choice. Mine are fantastic. Got stopped many times by EX owners in the area asking me what they are.

2015 explorer sport side step

I have been trying to find a side step for my explorer sport and have not had any luck....any suggestions???

I have been trying to find a side step for my explorer sport and have not had any luck....any suggestions???
I'm assuming you are talking about running board. Using the Forum's 'search' program, I found and merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

I called DeeZee this morning and they confirmed that the 2014 boards WILL fit the new 2015 Explorers.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info on the matching brands. Which brand are you going to get? I like this set the most as well, and will likely be purchasing soon.

I went with the Ionic/Steelcraft boards - got them on eBay for $250 shipped. They are ridiculously solid and look fantastic. Much better mounting than some of others out there.

I have seen electric drop down running boards on the F150 and on Navigators. Does anyone know if they make these for the Explorer ?

I have seen electric drop down running boards on the F150 and on Navigators. Does anyone know if they make these for the Explorer ?

These are OEM and the needed space and wiring points are built into those models. It would be interesting on an Ex...

It wouldn't be hard to tie them in electrically on the Explorer. At least on my model, I have the safety lights built in under the mirrors that kick in when you hit your light switch and stay on as the door opens. What I don't know is how long those lights stay on after you close the door but as they simply go down like a running board, they would not be in the way.

I know that after you park after shutting the vehicle off, the puddle lights stay on for at least 10 seconds or more. I've never really timed them.
EDIT: the puddle lights stay on for about 25 seconds after exiting the vehicle.

Peter

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've read this thread, and It's been really helpful. I'm considering either the ionic or the dee zee. My concern with the ionic is that drilling into the pinch weld would give the dealers more cause to void warranty. Has anyone run into anything like that?

I need boards that can support about 250lbs on a regular basis stepping in and out. Any idea how either of these boards would hold up?

Back