Running Boards - DeeZee and Others | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

After a bit more research, I'm leaning toward the Dee Zee. I just don't like the idea of drilling into the vehicle. Our dealers around here are really picky about stuff like that. They tried to void a warranty on my last car because I installed an after market hitch. (tried saying I caused frame damage)

Can anyone let me know if the dee zee running board will work with mud guards? (and maybe recommend some good guards)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After a bit more research, I'm leaning toward the Dee Zee. I just don't like the idea of drilling into the vehicle. Our dealers around here are really picky about stuff like that. They tried to void a warranty on my last car because I installed an after market hitch. (tried saying I caused frame damage)

Can anyone let me know if the dee zee running board will work with mud guards? (and maybe recommend some good guards)

Pics of Ionic on here show it with mud flaps, but I dont know if they can be installed with them still on the car.

Its a popular request so call before buying, they may know if its ok, if it can be mounted with mud flaps still installed, or not at all.

So, I called Dee Zee and they told me the nxc running boards will not fit on a 2014 sport. I've seen that some of you have installed it on here without issue. Can you please verify what model number boards and brackets you have used if you have a 2014 sport?

Nevermind. I went back to page 13 of this thread and found the info I need

I also just installed a set of these on my 2015 yesterday. While I found a few websites with them, lowers prices being Black Friday specials at $331 I did find them on ebay. The set I got cost $251 shipped and is very high quality and bolt for bolt the same as the Ionic in the install video I went by as a guide. I am sure they are the same exact ones, just sold by different company. I was impressed with the quality and happy with the price. Bought on a Tuesday afternoon, they come from NY and the were delivered on Thursday here in North Georgia!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271304775421?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
ad14008_zpscb569149.jpg

ad14010_zps92763bd8.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee180/cali0201/backup camera/ad14009_zps886c4bea.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee180/cali0201/backup camera/ad14011_zps7d1883e9.jpg

So, I called Dee Zee and they told me the nxc running boards will not fit on a 2014 sport. I've seen that some of you have installed it on here without issue. Can you please verify what model number boards and brackets you have used if you have a 2014 sport?

Mine bolted right up to a 15 Sport. Install was fairly easy for any DIYer.

You can get them for about $220 shipped from eBay. They are actually made by a company called SteelCraft. They are fantastic and fit real well, even with the Ford splash guards. Very glad I put them on my '14 Sport.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-72-...11|Model:Explorer&hash=item4ac7aa40da&vxp=mtr

Here's an install video as well showing the "Ionic" version, but same process as mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkeVoIu7otw

Pic on my '14 (they fit fine with the Ford splash guards as well):

20140908_181412_zpsce0dc321.jpg

Last edited:

WOW!! $222 shipped, that is a deal. Still happy with my $251 set as all the ones I found online at web sites were $331 and up. Very happy with mine and glad I chose not to go with nurf bars as they, IMO, look to pickup truckish on the explorer, had a set on my '96 and glad I went with boards on the 2015.

2 problems with the running boards. If you go off road, at all, you will tear them off the vehicle in short order. We used to get running boards on the previous generation Explorers, and after having a considerable bit of body damage due to the boards catching on ruts. rocks, etc.

Secondly, in bad weather all they do is catch slop and transfer it to your pants, coat, etc.

For me the will work as I only plan on going off road if I am forced to lol. Not much snow, etc up in Georgia and for many years my Explorer will stay indoors during bad weather, that is what my Mercedes ML350 is for as she is older.

EGR Running Board Step Install (2015)

I wanted to share some pics of my new XLT with the ERG Running Board Steps. I founds a great source on the web that was about $125 less than my local shop. I used Pep Boys to install for $200. Check on Ebay for the boards. The EGR Product Number is: 883638. Realtruck.com has them for $362 no delivery charge.

There is a lot of detailed work in installing. if you don't have a car lift, it will be really hard. Checkout the YouTube Video from EGR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q-x0C8h7VU

The boards work for all 5th Gen Explorers 2011-2015.

A few notes:
- The end caps are TOUGH to get on. The tolerance is tight!!
- The boards a solid and heavy!
- All hardware is included.
- Hard to install DIY. The holes get drilled into the pinch-weld. If you have pneumatic then you might be OK. If I didn't have to drill, I would have done them myself.

My Explorer: 2015 XLT

IMAG0245_zps2be989cf.jpg

IMAG0244_zps3ce6427a.jpg

IMAG0247_zpsc8f78f46.jpg

IMAG0246_zps18bb5078.jpg

IMAG0248_zps78755763.jpg

Last edited:

Welcome to the Forum Audiophile.:wavey:
Nice clean installation.:thumbsup: Since there was already a thread on "Running Boards" I have merged your with this one.

Peter

Thanks! I'm hoping to make some other lighting mods soon. I have found this site to be so helpful! As for the ERG boards, they are not the easiest, but they look good!

Running boards

New here - we just upgraded form a 2005 to a 2015 Explorer. The old one was an eddie Bauer with Running boards from the factory. This one does not have any and we are thinking of installing some. I was told by someone that they are less functional because of the way the vehicle is shaped and the step is not very big. Does anyone have any experience with them or recommend some? I was looking at the DeeZee's and the Ionic's but am willing to look at others as well. Please tell me how functional they are - can I use them as a step or is it just looks? Perhaps a pic or video of them in use would be helpful.

New here - we just upgraded form a 2005 to a 2015 Explorer. The old one was an eddie Bauer with Running boards from the factory. This one does not have any and we are thinking of installing some. I was told by someone that they are less functional because of the way the vehicle is shaped and the step is not very big. Does anyone have any experience with them or recommend some? I was looking at the DeeZee's and the Ionic's but am willing to look at others as well. Please tell me how functional they are - can I use them as a step or is it just looks? Perhaps a pic or video of them in use would be helpful.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this existing thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

I don't have them, but wanted them on mine. I did do some searching on here, and from what I've read if you have little ones (under 10) they are nice, but most people either complain that they hit their feet on them or they just collect snow and crap. Not really useful, so I decided against them. I have a 4 y.o. and she can climb in/out easy enough without them. But everyone has their own opinion, if you think the step is too great then get them otherwise get them for looks. If you do decide to go with them let me know what you think. I'm still on the fence about them.

Running boards part III

I'm on my second explorer and I've tried 3 set's of running boards. Everyone has an opinion so there are no easy answers.

My personal opinion is use what works for you. My the kids seem to always step on the threshold of the door when they enter rear doors. (Under 10 crowd) soccer cleats etc) That is my main reason for boards the other is so my wife can access the roof rack. (Me, I step around them:)

As for style, I hate low riders looks, I hate the high chrome look. I like it to look like part of the vehicle like Range rover, Acura, BMW or Mercedes. For me...the step does not need to be 3 inches off the ground or interfere with the already limited ground clearance. That said, I've tried the Dee Zee (too much body gap) and ATS (too short, too low) and was not all that happy.

Dee Zee +++ Easy, easy to install or remove
ATS Too low to ground, too short (between mud flaps)
EGR ++++ Great looks -- drill

When I bought the EX sport I did not want to destroy the look of the vehicle so I decided to shop again. Almost ready to pull the trigger on EGRs I shopped a few non-standard channels. (save the flames) The EGRs are the best looking in my opinion. Another criteria I had was that I wanted to be able to toss them in a couple years if I did not like and not have holes drilled everywhere. I went with these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271844970532?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I put these on and was very happy with appearance and ground clearance. They fit about 3/4 below the door without drilling.

What I will say to EGR, and many other manufactures, think about the mounts, drilling a little more. Too much gap, too much drilling, no thanks.

For now I'm happy. Wish I could have bought American but nothing in the market for me.

Gap

I'm on my second explorer and I've tried 3 set's of running boards. Everyone has an opinion so there are no easy answers.

My personal opinion is use what works for you. My the kids seem to always step on the threshold of the door when they enter rear doors. (Under 10 crowd) soccer cleats etc) That is my main reason for boards the other is so my wife can access the roof rack. (Me, I step around them:)

As for style, I hate low riders looks, I hate the high chrome look. I like it to look like part of the vehicle like Range rover, Acura, BMW or Mercedes. For me...the step does not need to be 3 inches off the ground or interfere with the already limited ground clearance. That said, I've tried the Dee Zee (too much body gap) and ATS (too short, too low) and was not all that happy.

Dee Zee +++ Easy, easy to install or remove
ATS Too low to ground, too short (between mud flaps)
EGR ++++ Great looks -- drill

When I bought the EX sport I did not want to destroy the look of the vehicle so I decided to shop again. Almost ready to pull the trigger on EGRs I shopped a few non-standard channels. (save the flames) The EGRs are the best looking in my opinion. Another criteria I had was that I wanted to be able to toss them in a couple years if I did not like and not have holes drilled everywhere. I went with these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271844970532?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I put these on and was very happy with appearance and ground clearance. They fit about 3/4 below the door without drilling.

What I will say to EGR, and many other manufactures, think about the mounts, drilling a little more. Too much gap, too much drilling, no thanks.

For now I'm happy. Wish I could have bought American but nothing in the market for me.

You said the DeeZee had too much gap. What problem does the gap cause? I have Tublular Nerf Bars on my truck and there is a 3 inch gap there. Just curious if there is a problem with them or just the look.

You said the DeeZee had too much gap. What problem does the gap cause? I have Tublular Nerf Bars on my truck and there is a 3 inch gap there. Just curious if there is a problem with them or just the look.

I was speaking to below the door or distance from below the door to the ground. A nerf bar could be out down and out/away from the body/door. On nerf bars (straight tubes, oval, round etc) I've seen nice fit on Acura and jeep grand Cherokee but not so great on the explorer. Always seems a bit too low for my taste.

On the gap
1 Lower ground clearance. 2) Less than factory appearance. Just a matter of preference and taste. Just an opinion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2016 Explorer Running Boards

Are running boards available for 2016 Explorer Limited, dealer says Ford does not have them?

Back