Running Boards - DeeZee and Others | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the folks running the Dee Zee ones, are they supposed to be perfectly aligned/parallel with the body? Mine seems to have a larger gap towards the front and looking at the second pic posted by chuxsvt, his looks kinda the same. My driver's side board seems to sit a bit lower too.

Never mind. Was able to adjust and got things aligned. :)

Running boards part III

I'm on my second explorer and I've tried 3 set's of running boards. Everyone has an opinion so there are no easy answers.

My personal opinion is use what works for you. My the kids seem to always step on the threshold of the door when they enter rear doors. (Under 10 crowd) soccer cleats etc) That is my main reason for boards the other is so my wife can access the roof rack. (Me, I step around them:)

As for style, I hate low riders looks, I hate the high chrome look. I like it to look like part of the vehicle like Range rover, Acura, BMW or Mercedes. For me...the step does not need to be 3 inches off the ground or interfere with the already limited ground clearance. That said, I've tried the Dee Zee (too much body gap) and ATS (too short, too low) and was not all that happy.

Dee Zee +++ Easy, easy to install or remove
ATS Too low to ground, too short (between mud flaps)
EGR ++++ Great looks -- drill

When I bought the EX sport I did not want to destroy the look of the vehicle so I decided to shop again. Almost ready to pull the trigger on EGRs I shopped a few non-standard channels. (save the flames) The EGRs are the best looking in my opinion. Another criteria I had was that I wanted to be able to toss them in a couple years if I did not like and not have holes drilled everywhere. I went with these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271844970532?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I put these on and was very happy with appearance and ground clearance. They fit about 3/4 below the door without drilling.

What I will say to EGR, and many other manufactures, think about the mounts, drilling a little more. Too much gap, too much drilling, no thanks.

For now I'm happy. Wish I could have bought American but nothing in the market for me.

Would you happen to have any pics of these on your ex? How was the installation?

explosportguy, the egr set up is really sleek. what did you use to prevent future rust on the holes that was drilled?

explosportguy, the egr set up is really sleek. what did you use to prevent future rust on the holes that was drilled?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Hi Rino911, thanks. I really like the look and function of the EGRs also. There is one hole in the weld fold per mounting bracket, so two holes in the weld fold on each side (one front bracket, one rear bracket). EGR supplies a tube of goop (looks silicone based to me) to help seal the holes.

I went a step further, however. I drilled the holes, then liberally sprayed them with truck bed liner, making sure the bed liner coated every exposed surface. I let the bed liner dry, then applied the tube of EGR goop on the holes and the bolts. Based on the condition of the bottom of the weld fold after 24,000+ miles (lots of chips from rocks and jack usage), I'm inclined to think I'll have rust problems along the bottom edge before I will have a problem with the EGR mounting holes.

Another quick comment regarding drilling the holes. I made certain that I positioned the brackets as high as possible while maintaining the proper fit when marking the folds for drilling. This left the maximum amount of weld fold beneath each hole, and it helped ensure that I could fit the boards with a minimal body gap (mine ranges from 0 to 1/16th inch from the side elevation). I drilled pilot holes and used high quality, sharp bits.

Hope this info helps.

explosportguy, thanks for the quick reply...Yeah i about to pull the trigger on the EGR's, but i found these on the ford accessories site. It says no drilling, but it runs $495.00, its compatible with Ex's from 2011-2017.

hb5z-16450-ab-20161019172513.jpg

Hello,
I just purchased 2016 Explorer XLT. I'm trying to figure out a few things my first mission is can I make my SUV have Apple Play/Adriod Play? This is what I think I have Sync2 version 3.8 It does have navigation A7 MAPS *SD CARD So what will it take to get Apple Play added on without breaking the common integrated functions of the SUV. I have read so many things e.g All I need to do is upgrade the USB and a lot of the data out there only indicates to upgrade to NAV version or to people who have a really base model.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,
I just purchased 2016 Explorer XLT.
My question is running boards.
1) Shall or can i go with automatic running boards.
a) is the cost worth it?
2)If no to the above what type shall I go with?

Last edited by a moderator:

The only way to add Apple/Android Play, I believe, would be to upgrade to Sync 3, which requires a complete head unit change, along with some programming. It's not cheap.

As far as running boards, I haven't found a need for them on the Explorer.

Well when getting in and out its not about height but quality (my opinion). See when you are getting out you would take your left leg out and get out the the side gets crushed so the leather starts to crack and wear.

Well when getting in and out its not about height but quality (my opinion). See when you are getting out you would take your left leg out and get out the the side gets crushed so the leather starts to crack and wear.

The problem with the Explorer and other lower height vehicles is that there is barely a difference between the side step and the entrance of the vehicle. It is very awkward to step up 5" and then 1 or 2 extra inches to get in.. it is as if they dont be long. Same when getting out, I think you will find you cant even stand when getting out to lift your butt off the seat because there is barely a height difference.

I’ll share my experience with the OEM running boards from Ford.

I didn’t want them, but my wife and in laws are all short. My kids are still very young. It’s now harder for me to get in and out, but they all love it. Good news is that the Explorer is not my primary vehicle.

Install was easy enough, but make sure your box has all the right hardware. Mine didn’t, so check before attempting to install. Took about 90 minutes in garage without a lift.

The quality of the boards to me is mediocre at best. I can’t imagine these holding up for more than three years. But it is a bolt on system so if it starts failing I’ll remove them.

What running boards / nerf bars are you all running that fit well and don't require modification?

I've been poking around and some of the running boards stick out 6". Yikes. Far too far for me. Something a bit more sleek is what I'm looking for and they need to be black in color.

Also, what mud flaps are you all using? I'm looking for some that are a bit "beefier" for the rear, especially.

These will go on a 2019 Sport.

Thanks,
Shumax

OEM mud flaps are sufficient. I never get spray on the evhicle from the tires with them on.

With the side steps, are you going for the look of having them or actual functionality?

Thanks. More the look but my kids will stand on them I know it, so...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What running boards / nerf bars are you all running that fit well and don't require modification?

I've been poking around and some of the running boards stick out 6". Yikes. Far too far for me. Something a bit more sleek is what I'm looking for and they need to be black in color.

Also, what mud flaps are you all using? I'm looking for some that are a bit "beefier" for the rear, especially.

These will go on a 2019 Sport.

Thanks,
Shumax
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature. There is also an existing thread on mud flaps. Mud Flaps / Splash Guards / DIY Pics Please use that thread for posting about that item.

Peter

Back