• Register Today It's free!

Runs great cold

kindrat

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Ranger
:ca:Hi there, I need some advice what to try next. I have an '86 Ranger Frankentruck 2.9L 4x4 and I am lost as to what to try next. It runs fantastic cold, lots of pedal great accel. and the like. When it hits operating temp it feels like you are running of of gas - it hammers and coughs and eventually will not run. Turn it off for 15 seconds - and you can drive for another couple of blocks before it happens again. Another thing, you can let this thing idle forever, no issue. Try and drive and you have problems. I have replaced both fuel pumps, new gas filters, swapped out fuel regulator, TPS, and coil to no avail. As far as I can tell there is no MAP sensor on this engine, but there is a MAF sensor on the firewall which I have not tried. Has anyone ever had something like this happen? Its the op. temp that throws me, it runs perfectly cold (up here in Canada that's a lot of the time) but with spring arriving........you see my dilemma. Thanks in advance for the advice.....
Chris

Have you tried the temp sensor? It may be telling the engine that it's still cold when it's warm and messing up everything in the process...

Joe, Thanks, have a donor truck and will swap out as needed. Are you talking engine temp(probably) how would the air temp sensor ( on the intake manifold) effect the process as well? Just a thought.....
Thanks Chris

Joe, Thanks, have a donor truck and will swap out as needed. Are you talking engine temp(probably) how would the air temp sensor ( on the intake manifold) effect the process as well? Just a thought.....
Thanks Chris

Back