Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rust lines on inside bottom on doors.

Discussion in 'Body Work & Detailing' started by EO, September 23, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. EO

EO Active Member

City, State:
      Cleveland, OH
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '99 XLT
      About 2 months ago I noticed some rust lines on the inside of my doors, almost near the bottom. It's about 1/2 inch from the inside bottom of the door, where there's a seam as the door sheet metal is folded over. On one door, the rust line is almost the length of the door, and on other doors, it's here-and-there, but always right on that seam.

The dealership told me the 5 year corrosion protection doesn't apply yet, because there's no actual perforation. They also said they've seen this before, but the rust hasn't penetrated to the "outside of the door" in the cases they've seen.

Any comments or experience with this? AND, suggestions on what I should do next? Seems like I should get this taken care of sooner than later, before it gets worse.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MONMIX

MONMIX I fix dents Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millersville , Maryland
      2000 Explorer Sport
      Rust never sleeps my friend. With it beeing on the inside it will not effect the apperiance , but it eventually will. Here is the factor. To repair it where it currently is will basically be the came repair as once it creeps to the out side.
      Where the rust is , is likely the most common place for rust on all cars.

4. EO

EO Active Member

City, State:
      Cleveland, OH
      '99 XLT
      Thanks, that's kinda what I guessed the answer would be.

Has anyone else noticed this on late-model Explorers? Trying to figure out if I'm in the minority.

5. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      I have seen that type of rust on beat-up late model POLICE Explorers. They rust there when run through a lot of salt on the highways, or water, off-road.

6. ajevenson

ajevenson Active Member

City, State:
      Calgary, AB
      '92 XLT
      I ground the bottom inside lip of my doors off, cut bigger drain holes into the bottom and then rewelded sheet metal onto the bottoms to give it back its structural integrity.

The trouble with the current door design is that as dust, mud, gravel and water fall througyh the window seals, they sit on the bottom of the doors and cant drain out. Then once it gets wet it stays wet for a long time and rusts through.

7. boilermakerfan

boilermakerfan New Member

City, State:
      NW burbs-Chicago
      98 XLT
      I've also got the door bottom rust issue. Is there anything that I can do to stop/slow this down, short of cutting it out and welding on some new metal? Some of the paint on the inside bottom of my door has started to bubble a bit. Is this something I could sand down and then put something like POR-15 on it? (I think that's the stuff). WOuld that help? Any ideas are welcome!

TIA

8. jayhawkexplorer

jayhawkexplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Mission, Kansas
      '97 XLT
      I'm having the same issue. All 4 doors and the trunk have rust on the inside and its bubbling up. A product of my Ex spending most of its life in the salt-infested roads of Wisconsin and New York. I tried some naval jelly today to at least neutralize the rust a little bit but I think its a lost cause. I took it to a body shop and they told me that there's nothing I can do about it. He did say that I had probably 5 years before it'd show on the outside. By then, hopefully my Ex will be my 2nd vehicle ('06 Mustang GT here I come :-D) and I won't really care about the rust by then. But now, looking back, I wish I'd driven down south to find my Ex rather then buying one in Wisconsin. Oh well, shoulda coulda woulda as my dad says.

9. expo5.0

expo5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Red Wing, MN
      1996 xlt
      mine has done that as well, i had my painter sand it down good with a wire wheel and repaint. should be enough, in both of our opinions.

10. jayhawkexplorer

jayhawkexplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Mission, Kansas
      '97 XLT
      How bad was yours rusting Expo? Was it bubbling? And what did he charge you for all that? Thanks..

This might be a dumb idea, but would it be possible to get the inside of the doors line-x'd or something like that??

11. hydroxy

hydroxy I like to fiddle...

City, State:
      Fairfax, VA
      1995 Limited v6
      I have the same rust problem... scared me the first time I saw it. Expo's plan is a good one - just hit it up w/ some rustoleum primer first.

12. Ryan1

Ryan1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      White Bear Lake, MN
      94 XLT
      Hey expo5.0 are your dog legs going yet, after this past winter mine are starting to look horrible

also what painter do you use in the area

Ryan

13. expo5.0

expo5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Red Wing, MN
      1996 xlt
      he didn't really charge me because i was doing so much other stuff at the same time.

if you have a wire wheel you could do it yourself with a rattle can paint job (which is plenty nice enough for inside there where no one sees it for less than $50)

My dog legs are not going, nothing is going.

the painter i use is the chapter president over at ftw, dont' think your a member yet, but you shoudl come hang out with us at the next meet.

here is a picture of his work so far on my truck

Attached Files:

14. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      Hey POR15 eats rust, if you catch it early you can sop it or at least slow it way down.
      ON my BII the inner door lips have been rusting for about 3-4 years now, not cosmetic on the outside yet, and I have not done a thing about it yet.

ONe of the next projects on my long list is the body, with a BII and with so many problem area's I may end up buying another truck just for the body (can find a straight body BII for $2-400)

If you catch the rust on the inside of the panels early, just grind it out, treat it and paint it. Can buy you many years :)