Rust Warranty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust Warranty

burtman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Does the 2015 Explorer come with some type of Rust Warranty ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is covered under the bumper to bumper.

That means it will only have a 36,000 warranty against rust. Almost all other car makers comes with 60,000 or more !

Here is what the 2015 Warranty Guide (2nd print) says about rust.

Damage Caused by Use and/or the Environment
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover surface rust,
deterioration and damage of paint, trim, upholstery, and other
appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements.
You, as the owner, are responsible for these items. Some examples are:
• dings, dents
• cuts, burns, punctures or tears
• road salt
• tree sap, bird and bee droppings
• windstorm, lightening, hail
• earthquake
• freezing, water or flood
• stone chips, scratches (some examples are on paint and glass)
• windshield stress cracks. However, limited coverage on windshield
stress cracks will be provided for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles
(which ever occurs first), even though caused by use and/or exposure
to the elements.

Peter

The Ex has a 5 year/unlimited mile rust warranty for rust that is not due to your own negligence.

Pretty standard. Many makes go 6 or 7 years. Volvo goes 12 years/unlimited for rust/corrosion.

tmg19103, that statement applies to 'corrosion' where the sheet metal has been perforated. It doesn't apply to 'surface' rust which is what you usually see first. I guess the warranty question all depends on which condition is 'in play'.

Peter

The Ex has a 5 year/unlimited mile rust warranty for rust that is not due to your own negligence.

Pretty standard. Many makes go 6 or 7 years. Volvo goes 12 years/unlimited for rust/corrosion.

I should have been more clear as Peter stated.. Paint is covered for 3yr/36k which is where rust would be covered as I stated unless it has gone through the body (a hole must be created). Surface rust is not covered under the 5yr/unlimited Corrosion warranty rather the 3yr/36k paint warranty (Bumper to bumper). After 3yr/36k, Ford will not do anything unless the rust has created a hole and gone through a body panel.

I should have been more clear as Peter stated.. Paint is covered for 3yr/36k which is where rust would be covered as I stated unless it has gone through the body (a hole must be created). Surface rust is not covered under the 5yr/unlimited Corrosion warranty rather the 3yr/36k paint warranty (Bumper to bumper). After 3yr/36k, Ford will not do anything unless the rust has created a hole and gone through a body panel.

Ford 5 year/unlimited miles rust/corrosion warranty covers the vehicle's sheet metal, and protects you from rust and corrosion in other areas that are severe enough to cause a hole. Surface rust, such as on an axle, is not covered, but that goes without saying in my book. If surface rust on an axle (or whatever) were to perforate within 5 years, it is covered.

Ford 5 year/unlimited miles rust/corrosion warranty covers the vehicle's sheet metal, and protects you from rust and corrosion in other areas that are severe enough to cause a hole. Surface rust, such as on an axle, is not covered, but that goes without saying in my book. If surface rust on an axle (or whatever) were to perforate within 5 years, it is covered.

if I start developing rust on the edge of a door or a tailgate but it has not caused a hole (ie: surface rust), it will not be covered after the bumper to bumper warranty has expired.

if I start developing rust on the edge of a door or a tailgate but it has not caused a hole (ie: surface rust), it will not be covered after the bumper to bumper warranty has expired.

Have to ask Ford on that one case by case. I think they leave themselves with legroom on what "corrosion" is covered as you may not know what caused it.

If your tailgate started rusting due to a scratch you caused Ford would not and should not cover it.

If a painted area just starts rusting on its own after the three year, but before the 5 year rust/corrosion warranty is up, I think Ford should cover it even if it has not perforated yet because it obviously will at some point - assuming it is a Ford defect and not damage you caused.

Rust is always a tricky issue and any car company/dealer can wiggle out by saying there was underlying damage that you or someone else caused.

Have to ask Ford on that one case by case. I think they leave themselves with legroom on what "corrosion" is covered as you may not know what caused it.

If your tailgate started rusting due to a scratch you caused Ford would not and should not cover it.

If a painted area just starts rusting on its own after the three year, but before the 5 year rust/corrosion warranty is up, I think Ford should cover it even if it has not perforated yet because it obviously will at some point - assuming it is a Ford defect and not damage you caused.

Rust is always a tricky issue and any car company/dealer can wiggle out by saying there was underlying damage that you or someone else caused.

Not arguing on what Ford should do, just stating what Ford will do. There have been people on here who have had tailgate rust after the bumper to bumper and Ford has denied coverage.

This is straight from Ford's website so it is black and white:

Corrosion Warranty covers body sheet metal panels against corrosion due to a defect in factory-supplied material or workmanship.

Corrosion coverage only applies if the corrosion causes perforation (holes) in body sheet metal panels. If corrosion does not cause perforation (holes), or is the result of usage and/or environmental conditions, corrosion warranty would not apply.

Rust caused by exposed sheet metal from accidents or normal wear and tear are not defects in material or workmanship. The paint on the vehicle is covered under the terms of the Bumper to Bumper Warranty.

Corrosion Warranty coverage begins at the Warranty Start Date and lasts for five years, regardless of miles driven.

So again, if a hole is not created, it falls back to the bumper to bumper warranty.

Now, can/will Ford make exceptions? Yes they can/will but I'm just stating the facts so someone doesn't go running to Ford and think that they will cover it.

But you still have that statement in the warranty guide that says;

By that I take it to mean the 3 year 36k mile factory warranty.

Peter

But you still have that statement in the warranty guide that says;

By that I take it to mean the 3 year 36k mile factory warranty.

Peter

That's exactly what I'm saying.. surface rust is not covered however paint is so you can technically claim surface rust under the bumper to bumper warranty if it has to do with body panels/paint.

Just like some people on here who have started having rust spots on the tailgate edges/lip.. Ford takes care of it because it's a paint defect within the 3yr/36k.

After 3yr/36k, no coverage unless a hole is created.

Like I posted, rust is always tricky and I don't think I gave readers the impression Ford would cover anything. Just said they should in certain instances and it does not hurt to ask.

Corrosion coverage only applies if the corrosion causes perforation (holes) in body sheet metal panels. If corrosion does not cause perforation (holes), or is the result of usage and/or environmental conditions, corrosion warranty would not apply.

Now where did that darn chisel and hammer go? :D

Back