• Register Today It's free!

Rusty Front Rotors

countrygrl

Reaction score
City, State
Napa Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I was trying to save some money by doing my own brake job including rotors but I ran into a problem... the front rotors are rusted on. I am not sure how to get them off, my Dad helped by beating them with a hammer to see if he can get them off and that did not happen. :D

So does anyone have any advice o how to get them off???

Thanks in advance...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This sometimes works: go for a 15 min drive around a neighborhood with plenty of turns (stop signs) to warm up the rotors. Then try hitting them again with the hammer (wear thick gloves, could be hot hot hot).

I had the same problem but on a 1997 f150. We Pounded away on the rotor for about an hour between my dad and my friend and myself using a 15 pound maul. Dad finally took the welder and heated the rotor up a bit and took a few more minutes of pounding and it finally came off. My friend works at a auto repair shop and said he never has run across a rotor that was so stubborn. Good luck with yours and yeah gloves are a must.

If you have it jacked up/jackstanded with the wheel off and everything, PB Blaster is the way to go if you dont' want to use heat or risk anything else. When I changed my ball joints, I had 15 years of rust built up around some of the areas, nothing major, just old parts. It's good stuff, give it a shot.

I had the same problem but on a 1997 f150. We Pounded away on the rotor for about an hour between my dad and my friend and myself using a 15 pound maul. Dad finally took the welder and heated the rotor up a bit and took a few more minutes of pounding and it finally came off. My friend works at a auto repair shop and said he never has run across a rotor that was so stubborn. Good luck with yours and yeah gloves are a must.

Thanks for the idea... my dad thought about that but he was not sure if it would work. I will give it a try tonight and let you know what happens.

Thanks for you're reponses!!!

welcome

Back