• Register Today It's free!

Saleen XP8 Alignment Issue

Toddwig

Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Saleen Explorer XP8
Does anyone have the alignment specs for the Saleen Explorer XP8? Or does anyone know how to correct the camber to get it right. My alignment shop said that since Saleen lowered and changed out the 2 piece control arms to 1 piece control arms there is not enough length to make it right"? Any ideas would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have the alignment specs for the Saleen Explorer XP8? Or does anyone know how to correct the camber to get it right. My alignment shop said that since Saleen lowered and changed out the 2 piece control arms to 1 piece control arms there is not enough length to make it right"? Any ideas would be great.

Welcome to the forum. There is nothing special about the XP8 suspensions other than the sway bars and shocks. The two piece right UCA was to get better caster, not camber. The left was never a two piece choice, OEM made the right one that way due to manufacturing tolerances. I've had three trucks that all align fine with one piece right UCA's, same for everyone else.

To get better camber with the lowering, you might need different camber washers for the UCA's. There are 2-3 variations from a couple of brands, but maybe two real differences. I have had trouble getting enough camber with two of mine, keeping me from lowering them as I'd like. My 98 Mercury was great to align since I got it, I lowered that 2-3 inches right after I bought it(2003). My other two(98 and 99) I have barely below stock height, I want them both a good 2" lower than they are. I expect to have to modify on the UCA mounts, a little grinding to allow more movement. I think it can be done, I thought so in about 2007 when I rebuilt the suspension again in my Mercury, but I didn't need to on that truck.

Start with different camber bolt kits(one for each side), and have the shops make the height equal left/right. YThey can adjust the torsion bolts to make each side the same height, on their flat alignment rack. Tell them to measure up to the LCA bolts, not the fenders. I think my Mercury LCA bolts are around 8.5" off the ground.

How far out is the camber now?
You can order camber correction shims for the UCA through bolts for the correct adjustment amount and install them

The stocker Explorer alignment specs are what are recommended for the XP8's

These are the specs from the long discontinued 2" lowering kit from the Explorer Express (EE) alignment sheet.
Yes, the same or very close to stock. Also make sure your rubber bump stops are not bottomed out.

Camber
1/2- 0 Degrees Negative

Caster
Maximum Possible

Toe (Total)
1/16" In (Positive)

Mine has always been aligned to stock specs...

those are stock specs
I set my camber at 0 degrees I find it works well with large tires
Toe I set 1/16" in per side (1/8" toe in total) so when you hit the skinny pedal it straightens out to perfect

Back