• Register Today It's free!

Salvage Title Warranty?

Billy Dunwoody

Reaction score
City, State
Culver City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
I saw an ad for a 2017 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor with the 3.5 ecoboost and only 16k miles for a good price. Has a salvage title but the seller who is a licensed dealer showed me the repair bill where all OEM parts were used and it was done at a reputable body shop. He said he does not know if Ford will still honor the warranty. Does Ford still honor a warranty on a vehicle with a salvage/rebuilt title? If not, how would they know it's salvage unless I tell them?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As for the warranty, my guess would be NO. Also, if this is a reputable dealer, I'm guessing they would have to indicate that it was a salvaged vehicle on any paperwork/documents the issue. Otherwise, it might be construed as fraud.
Can I Get a Warranty on a Rebuilt Title?

Peter

Ford will not warranty salvage title regardless of parts used.

As with everything, the real answer is almost always - "it depends."

It is highly unlikely that an oe or its dealers will know if a vehicle has a salvage title or not. When has a dealer ever asked to see your title for warranty work? It will likely be treated just as any other vehicle that has been in an accident will be. I have had vehicles in accidents that were repaired and maintained their warranty.

All of the above assumes this wasn't a Ford owned vehicle that already had it's warranty voided. If you are concerned, get the vin and have a dealer check Oasis for warranty status. Best of luck and be prepared for some warranty stuff to potentially be declined if the dealer determines it was accident related.

Your bigger problem may be with insurance as the title status is likely in clue and some companies may limit your coverage options or not underwrite any at all.

The bigger questions are how bad was the damage and how much are they asking for it? If the price is right and the seller and repairer are reputable and willing to stand behind their work, then it might be worth exploring a purchase...

Having worked in stealerships for a number of years, my opinion would be- if there is ANY way Ford, and by extension, the dealer, can get out of paying for anything, they will. If there was an accident report filed, or if there was an insurance claim paid out, somewhere there is some sort of record saying that vehicle was significantly damaged. Meaning- if it was hit in the right front, and the left tail light quit functioning, it WILL be called accident related- see where I am going? Ford's job 1 is to make a profit- any way they can. Period. RUN, don't walk away from that re-habed wreck. Also, whoever that "dealer" is, they know perfectly well there is NO warranty coverage, but they will say ANYTHING to sell you that P.O.S.

Having worked in stealerships for a number of years, my opinion would be- if there is ANY way Ford, and by extension, the dealer, can get out of paying for anything, they will. If there was an accident report filed, or if there was an insurance claim paid out, somewhere there is some sort of record saying that vehicle was significantly damaged. Meaning- if it was hit in the right front, and the left tail light quit functioning, it WILL be called accident related- see where I am going? Ford's job 1 is to make a profit- any way they can. Period. RUN, don't walk away from that re-habed wreck. Also, whoever that "dealer" is, they know perfectly well there is NO warranty coverage, but they will say ANYTHING to sell you that P.O.S.
Err my gerd. The sky is falling. He just said dealer, not ford dealer so dial it back a notch or two on what the dealer will know until the op shares more pertinent info.

Always good to be cautious, but there are a lot of salvage vehicles that are quite easily repairable.

Op - please post more info and a vin for this salvage vehicle.

Back