Salvage Yard PCM Replacement

stbeaver

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Davidson, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 & 2008 Ford Explorer
I have a 2008 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4 4.6L V8 SOHC. I have diagnosed a problem with my VCT solenoid actuation back to the PCM. It is not grounding the circuit to energize the solenoids. I get P0010 and P0020 DTC codes for VCT open circuit. Wiring checks out OK to the PCM/connector. The problem is on that circuit internal to the PCM. So I want to replace the PCM. There are currently no rebuilt/refurbished PCM's from Ford available. The dealer tells me they are on back order, with no ETA. Notes in the system indicate a shortage of cores and internal problems with flashing newer versions of the software on older modules. I have not found any aftermarket PCM rebuilders with satisfactory customer feedback that I am willing to send mine in for repair, or buy a refurb from them. So my only other alternative is to get one from a salvage yard. This is where I have questions.

My original PCM p/n is 8L2A-12A650-PB. There is a "Tear Tag" sticker on the edge of the PCM that supposedly identifies the calibration version? I don't have that number in front of me as I write this post. Do I have to match the PCM p/n exactly when looking for a replacement PCM? A new remanufactured PCM from Ford would be p/n 8L2Z-12A650-PDRM. The RM is for Reman. I think the D is maybe a module version letter. So can I use a PB or higher (PB, PC, or PD), but not a PA. Does the Tear Tag cal sticker need to match? Or is that done when the PCM is reflashed with my VIN and vehicle info? I will be paying a mobile reflash guy to flash the salvage PCM for my vehicle. Please advise. Any additional suggestions would be welcomed.

The cal sticker is used in the reflash to the truck...

Unless the dealer helps you with programming it will not run with out the matching cluster and a key reset with forscan.... I swapped out my broken cluster and uncovered this and had to go back to the junk yard and buy the pcm and then the abs pump because it didnt match but i think forscan can reprogram that

Back