sand dunes + sway bars?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sand dunes + sway bars??

93liftedXLT said:
Haha Owned comming from someone with 8.000 post, pretty Immature, and Actually i do know what i am talking about, i was on the Dunes last week Moron, i took them off and almost rolled my truck doing some hill climb trails,So i put them back on

Were are your pictures? :confused:

i am the immature one, and yet you have resorted to 8th grade name calling :rolleyes: and still it seems that no one is agreeing with you. Sway bars limit flex.without a sway bar the tires will stay on the ground longer wich is awalys more stable than a tire in the air. And what do pictures have to do with anything? if youi want to look at pictures go to my photo gallery.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, in general, removing or disconnecting the sway bars when off-roading will help in the articulation department. Now, that being said.....

Leave 'em on. It'll handle much better for the trip there and back, and there's honestly no need to disco them out at Silver Lake. I've run my Ex and my F-150 out there at least a dozen times each and never done more than air down the tires. There's honestly no need to do it, so why bother?

Lighten up yo, I am here to help.
People will razz you on these forums, point out mistakes you make, and opke fun. It's all part of the atmosphere, don't take it personally.
You could tell me my mom goes to college and we could still sit down for a beer at the end of the day.

Its hard to judge people with text, so just take the blows, lord knows I get called out ALOT! :p
I am better for it.

well the only reason I see to bother with the sway bars after learning about silver dunes, would be this thread. Drive it without them sometime, so you can see the difference.

When you put your truck into "off road" mode, air down, disco sway bars, adjust shocks (if you have them) etc it becomes an entire different vehicle to drive. That is part of the fun.

Lighten up yo, I am here to help.
People will razz you on these forums, point out mistakes you make, and opke fun. It's all part of the atmosphere, don't take it personally.
Quote 410

How well I know. plus it makes for a lively disscussion. Some days there are more horses tails then heads. Oh well, gotta get back to making more shock brackets for 410's half of my B11 :hammer: He never lets up, do this do that.

are we going 4 per side now?

No, it's just that you guys are scaring me about all that flex you can get by disco the rear sway bar. So I thought it would be prudent to raise the outboard top shock mounting point to go thru the bed an attach to a cross member going from side to side of the roll bar. I think I'm suffering from ocassional dillusions of adaquancy today. Sorry got to get back to work :hammer:

Man I cannot wait to retire! hahaha

Be careful too much flex in the back and not matching it up front can result in poor off road performance. They should be able to keep up with each other or it can actually do more harm then good.

Whats a sway bar?

Seriously, I haven't had sway bars (front or rear) in well over 100k miles.
I've wheeled in dirt/rocks/sand and problably won't ever put them back on.. I don't drive the truck like a sports car.. its a truck (I Don't go over 75.. on average I drive 70 on the freeway)..

If I was going to drive it fast on sand (> 40mph) I'd think about putting back on the front.. but with the lift and 32" tires I know my trucks limits... and I usually don't go over 30 on the sand (I usually just put it in 4x4 low and leave it there).. I also run low pressures on the sand.. There is no way I'd run high speeds on sand when I run 8psi.

On dirt (still soft in spots) I will run 40mph or so without sway bars (higher tire pressure also).. I do get bounces etc but never out of control..

~Mark

Maniak said:
Whats a sway bar?

Seriously, I haven't had sway bars (front or rear) in well over 100k miles.
I've wheeled in dirt/rocks/sand and problably won't ever put them back on.. I don't drive the truck like a sports car.. its a truck (I Don't go over 75.. on average I drive 70 on the freeway)..

If I was going to drive it fast on sand (> 40mph) I'd think about putting back on the front.. but with the lift and 32" tires I know my trucks limits... and I usually don't go over 30 on the sand (I usually just put it in 4x4 low and leave it there).. I also run low pressures on the sand.. There is no way I'd run high speeds on sand when I run 8psi.

On dirt (still soft in spots) I will run 40mph or so without sway bars (higher tire pressure also).. I do get bounces etc but never out of control..

~Mark

TTB vs. IFS Apples to oranges.

All I know is from experience. Unless you can really make that front end stiff to the point it doesn't move the 2nd gen sploders handle like crap at anything over 15 mph with the sway bars off. And not only luke crap, but to the point of being a danger to yourself and others. There is such a high CG they don't handle well. Now with the rear off you can't tell a difference, but the front is the kicker.

I agree off road generally disconnect them, but some circumstances your better off having them on and this is one of them.

But trr it both ways and let us know. Then run it on the street without them and after you change your shorts post up how it did.

I'll let you know how everything goes! (after I change my shorts)

dman726749 said:
i am the immature one, and yet you have resorted to 8th grade name calling :rolleyes: and still it seems that no one is agreeing with you. Sway bars limit flex.without a sway bar the tires will stay on the ground longer wich is awalys more stable than a tire in the air. And what do pictures have to do with anything? if youi want to look at pictures go to my photo gallery.

Kind hard to rolll a truck when ur Not evan lifted, shackles and TT...wow

I simply stated my Opinon, and no one liked it, so they started bashing, i dont give a ****,

i have 8 inch in the rear and 6 in the front, with bars off, i feel more vonable to tipping over, i dont need to explain this

410, its cool

You get more body roll, yes, however if you get used to it, have the correct shock valving and spring rate you can actually make this work to your advantage in the corners....

Now Taxxman said: "And not only luke crap, but to the point of being a danger to yourself and others."

I dont agree with this. One of the biggest problems with the Gen II trucks was the broken front sway bar link, correct? In fact I am not sure I have ever seen one that did not need this recall, they are ALL broken.

This means alot of people have driven Gen II Explorer's with no sway bar, for unknown periods of time. Does it handle the same? no. But is it as dangerous as you are making it sound? Nope. Mine was broken and I drove it for months without fixing it, handled fine to me.

Back