Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Santa's List for Offroad Projects??

Discussion in 'Offroad Projects' started by BKennedy, December 6, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 XLT
      Its that time of year again. What is the stuff you would add to your Explorer / Ranger / RBV if you could just go purchase whatever you wanted, and why? Here is my list for Santa:

- New rear shocks; 1" shorter shocks would allow me to move them outward at the top helping with on-highway body roll, smoother ride.
      - Atlas Transfer Case; Better low range, stronger, no chain, and because its an Atlas.
      - 8.8 C-clip eliminator kit; Much stronger rear axle without any other suspension modifications, eliminates wheel adaptors (5x4.5 to 5x5.5).
      - Custom leaf packs from National Spring; Smoother ride, military wrap springs, etc.
      - 37" tires and 17" wheels; Increased ground clearance, 35's are so last decade.
      - GM 3800 supercharged V6 engine swap; VRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM, and totally do-able with my 700R4 transmission.

I think that's about it. I can't believe I am getting so close to where the Explorer would be my version of the ultimate all around trail / expedition / rock crawler rig.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Back in 5 minutes Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Modified 95 XLT
      RCV axles for the 2nd gen IFS......... $2k for a set! Nuff said.

Full roll cage....... This is sorely needed, but I lack the skills to build anything safe, and would be a waste of time & $$ if I tried. Shops would charge a fortune to make one.

Suspension Reclining Seats, that are both comfortable EVERYWHERE, and aren't too high off the floor....... My New Corbeu's aren't what I expected, I'm old, and need support on the trails, and cushion for the long hauls.

A set of tunes, from Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning....... Need to wake up this stock 5.0 for fun, and also a tow tune for the small camp trailer.

A better low profile winch...... the 8500# winch isn't going to cut it, with a trailer in tow on the trails anymore, w/o multiple snatch blocks, and that's just a pain to do.

And a hawt blonde magical Elf lady co-pilot. :D...... Self explanatory!

(Edited for reason why, as I can't read instructions worth a damn.)

Last edited: December 6, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    4. KurtECV

KurtECV Surrender The Booty Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Lebanon MO
      93 Sport
      94 sport
      A rear locker for my 9 inch. Cause mine is still open.

4.86 ring and pinion for the d44 because it's for 3.50s right now.

5.3L vortex engine, harness and a tuned ECM. AND a manual trans flywheel. To bolt to my np345/Dana 20 to drop in my sport.

New set of 35 inch tires. Because I still have my set up tires

5. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albuquerque, NM
      1991 XLT
      Callsign:
      KG5BAQ
      Exp1
      Hardshell RTT. I've been against a RTT for a long time but regularly camping with friends who have them is starting to show how the convenience outweighs the cons
      Bigger shocks. My Bilstein 5125s are fine but bigger is better right?
      Custom leaf springs out back. I put on the dirt miles and like to go fast-ish. I know there is an improvement to be made
      New 32" tires. Old ones are getting very worn out
      Cummins R2.8 crate engine. I've been around them enough now to know it is the real deal and would be a great match.
      New bumpers. I would do several things differently now and my skills and tools have become better since they were built 10+ years ago
      New seats. Old PRP is getting worn out and doesn't match stock passenger seat, also worn out
      Drawer system behind the 1 fold seat. I'm fairly organized now but it could be more efficient with a nice drawer setup I think.

Exp2
      609 hybrid front axle because everyone says solid is better
      Coilovers for above mentioned axle because stock stuff wont work with it
      Doubler. Need that crawl ratio!
      Aluminum beadlocks because my steel beadlocks are heavy
      Some sort of better cargo organizer inside. Rack/Basket? Drawers? Because I don't like current setup
      Yukon rear axles to get rid of spacer adapter
      New wrap or paint because why not make it look better?

6. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      90 Bronco II
      If I could purchase whatever, I would start over. I would want to build a class 4600 ultra4 rig. Probably a single cab ranger 4.0 5spd. Or a full size 78-79 Bronco.

• Like Like x 1