Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

SAS ? 4 AWD vs 4WD

Discussion in 'Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits' started by SkyJumper, July 10, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. SkyJumper

SkyJumper DISABLED AIRBORNE VET Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      SW Florida
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 Expedition XLT 4x4
      Hey all, my question is a simple one I hope. I just can not seem to get the right answer through my thoughts. Anyone with input would be greatly appreciated. Now mind you it may seem stupid to ask, but I am battling it, and I do understand the concept of AWD vs 4wd too.

Here it is, I am in the search for a V8 4wd 2nd gen unmolested X to do a SAS with leafs for simplicity and cost and fab work limitations I have at home without having to send out for someone else to do. But in my searches as of late, all I am finding in the V8 lineup is AWD X's throughout my state. There is a lot of V6 4wd X's. But I am stuck on purchasing a V8 model. What I want to know is can the AWD be a simple swap to the SAS also?

I have already purchased a striped down D44/HP axle housing, and a 94 Bronco 8.8 rear-end complete. I will be going high steer route on the front and using 4.88's thru out both with Detroit lockers in both. I am purchasing next week 35 tall with 15x10 Black Mods. And much more to add with the build. I have read numerous builds on here and I have really love the ride that wadetoombs87 has here is the thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313403, and I plan on imitating for my SAS except mine will have high steer and sway bars. He really has a clean look on his which I favor.

So, my question is this again, can I go the AWD route for the SAS or do I have to stay with the 4wd and go with the V6 which I do not favor?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ranger-93

ranger-93 Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, GA
      93 ranger, 01 f-350
      why not swap transfer cases so you can keep the v8 and have 4wd instead of awd?

4. RobWilJas

RobWilJas New Member

City, State:
      Lynnwood, WA.
      97 Mountaineer 5.0L AWD
      The reason your not finding a V8 4wd 2nd gen is that they don't exist, stock anyway. The V8's were only available in 2wd and awd. You can just as easily do the SAS on the AWD though, and there are a lot of threads on here for swapping in a 4wd transfer case.

5. SkyJumper

City, State:
      SW Florida
      1999 Expedition XLT 4x4
      Tranfer case issue is a given. I would diffinately swap it. I guess what I could not get around is, is there a difference between the 2 other than how the system works. Is it a matter of just swapping out the x-fer case and go on my way in doing the SAS, or is there other factors need addressing when dealing with the AWD models, ECU, electrical or mechanical. In my mind I see it as a simple SAS with a x-fer swap, but I did not want to commit myself to a purchase of a AWD model and find out it is more than a simple x-fer swap.

Like I said in 1st post, sorry for this if it sounds stupid, but I never owned a AWD vehicle and all my Ford trucks were 4wd models except my current 2wd X I have had for the past 8 yrs.

6. SkyJumper

City, State:
      SW Florida
      1999 Expedition XLT 4x4
      I do not know why for the last 2 months I have been searching for a 4wd V8 and now you say this and of course I had to verify. Which I have here http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/spec1998.htm. Damn on me, I always thought all these yrs that they did make a 4wd V8. Shit, now I guess I will be purchasing the AWD model as long as it is only a matter of a simple x-fer case swap to make the SAS go forward.

Thanks guys, all this time kicking myself and being determined to find a 4wd V8. Looks like my build is going to happen sooner than later, much sooner. :thumbsup:

7. ranger-93

ranger-93 Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, GA
      93 ranger, 01 f-350
      Double check and/or wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime but i remember seeing where on awd people remove the front driveshaft to save a little gas but when in park theres like 60% holding power in rear and like 40% holding power in front so without the front drive shaft it would creep if on a hill. so if u switched transfer case idk if it would still creep or not because 4wd doesnt apply any resistance up front. i believe the reason the awd creeps is because the resistance is applied from the transfer case so having a 4wd transfer case might solve that...again double check what im saying

8. crazyflights

crazyflights Elite Explorer

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      Its simple, Go with the V8 awd, and do a 4406 manual transfercase swap. You dont need to change ECU or anything. Its so so simple, I think you might be over thinking it. Then your sas'd expo will be capable and prolly get decent MPG.

9. SkyJumper

City, State:
      SW Florida
      1999 Expedition XLT 4x4
      Thanks, I was over thinking it apparently. I kept thinking there was electrical issues thru the ECU or elsewhere that would need addressing and did not want a headache after starting on the project and then find that steps were overlooked and it required surgery electronically.

Now I am on the hunt for a unmolested AWD V8.

:D

10. SkyJumper

City, State:
      SW Florida
      1999 Expedition XLT 4x4
      Another question I have about my future SAS. Is the VSS going to be an issue? I plan on using full width axles and on the 8.8 IIRC has the hone ring on the ring gear for the VSS plug and sensor, what about the X stock configuration, where is it on the X? Thanks for any info.

11. RobWilJas

RobWilJas New Member

City, State:
      Lynnwood, WA.
      97 Mountaineer 5.0L AWD
      I believe on the V8 AWD the sensor is in the transfer case for 96-97 and in the rear axle for 98 on.