Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

sas or no

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by PatG, October 23, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. PatG

PatG New Member

City, State:
    Carson City MI
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 explorer xlt 4.0 ohv
    I have a dilemma I have currently a 97 xlt with basic 22 inch wheel and tire brand new all terrains and TT and I have a not yet installed add a leaf kit. However I have a blown t case 4 bad shocks a leaking master cylinder and rotten shackles. I want to lift it but my question is since I need to fix everything anyway would I be better of doing a sas or just fix the master cylider.(Its not really broke but its got that problem where it leaks at the cruise control cut off) get lift shackles (anybody know of any besides the $80+ warriors like to get something cheaper) put on the add a leaf ,get new pro comp shocks (can't afford Ranchos) get a junkyard working tcase and call it good.So tell me what you guys think any feedback will be appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. MercuryMullet

MercuryMullet Active Member

City, State:
    el cajon ca
    97 mercury mountaineer
    I vote no on the sas. I would bring it up to par first. Everything you just mentioned is the exact same fix sas or not except the front shocks so you wouldn't lose much if any if you change your mind.

4. PatG

PatG New Member

City, State:
    Carson City MI
    1997 explorer xlt 4.0 ohv
    Ok thank you I thought I had to change out master cylinder and t case when I did sas.

5. MercuryMullet

City, State:
    el cajon ca
    97 mercury mountaineer
    I have a ttb swap which is basically a sas and am running the stock master. The auto transfer case may not work well with the straight axle but I believe there is a brown wire mod that makes the auto part not auto. But having a 97 you may have a standard 2hi/4hi/4lo case and it doesn't care what is on the end of the drive shaft. Haha

6. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Omao, Kauai
    '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
    If you're reluctant to spend $80 on warrior shackles and want a cheaper brand, I don't think you realize how many thousands of dollars an SAS costs.

7. RomeovilleIL

RomeovilleIL Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Illinois
    98 LTD, 00 XLT
    Exactly my thoughts. Haven't seen a completed SAS under $1000 yet. Plus any SAS requires welding and fabrication of parts.

8. MercuryMullet

City, State:
    el cajon ca
    97 mercury mountaineer
    I also agree with the cost. I assumed the budget was different for the SAS than just getting it running again since SAS is a major upgrade.