SASed....But Drivelineless | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SASed....But Drivelineless

Hey guys, I just pretty much finished the major fabrication of my SAS on my 92 Sploder, still need tires cuz I dont think 32s will look too good. It is a Dana 30 (dont laugh), and Im not sure how much lift it is but I need a new front driveline. It barely bolts up to the axle fully extended. My question is what did you guys do for your drivelines?...did you get it custom made or what? I have some more pics but here is a couple if my truck , if it helps...thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good, All you need to do is take out your driveshaft and measure at ride height yoke to yoke. Look in the yellow pages and I'm sure you'll find a driveshaft shop in your area.

More pics and details? I like the long arm kit. I don't like that you used a stock heep trackbar. Those upper mounts are the dumbest things on jeeps! RE, Rustys and others make the upper joint verticle and use a heim or a poly bushing. Much better idea than the factory joint and orientation.

get a piece of 2.5" .120 wall tubing. Cut the drive shft in half and slide each end into the tube. Make as long a neccesary and weld back together. Make sure to keep the u joints lined up and run it. That is how I did mine. I have probably 10 trips on it this way and it works fine for the front.

RockRanger said:
get a piece of 2.5" .120 wall tubing. Cut the drive shft in half and slide each end into the tube.
That's an interesting idea RockRanger :thumbsup:

why not use square tubing? and weld the flanges and joints to the ends? unlimited travel........ just an idea

cause he prob. wants to drive it on the road. its not safe for on road use. off road is fine but not on road

looks really good :thumbsup: what aer you planning on for tires? 35's?

well as long as he doesnt ride down the road in 4wd he wont notice it unless if his t-case is spins the front output shaft always. and i dont believe that happens

There have been plenty of times I have been out wheeling where I have hit 50+ mph with the hubs locked. A square shaft would have sucked. I have gone that fast in washes in the desert or getting on the highway to hit the next trail a mile or two don the road. It would suck to have had to always get out and lock the hubs.

**** Before you go out and buy a piece of tube to sleeve the driveshaft double check the size you need. I might have been wrong with it being 2.5" like I listed above.****

good point. i guess its a lil defferent here all the way across the US. the trails ur on are the ones u stay on b/c they go for miles

Ill double check the size of the driveline tube, that will probably the last thing I do on my truck so Ill spend my time on it. I still need shocks, 8.8 gears, rims and tires.

What tires? I wanted 35s but Im not sure how top heavy it will be and with the Dana 30 factor. I was thinkin wide 33s like 33x13.50s or 14.50s.

Pics from today of my SAS

Just thought I'd post some pics of my truck from a little wheeling trip. I didnt have time to lengthen the front drive shaft so it was 2wd today but ohwell. Too lazy to put the bumper on too. Anyways, its a 92 xlt with a HP dana 30 up front. 6 inch BDS ranger coils, es 9000 procomp shocks, 3/4 inch heims. The bottom and top links are 5/16" wall 1" ID dom tube and the panhard is 1/4" wall 1" ID dom. Im leaving to Chicago for school in Sept so I kinda ran out of the money to dump in my truck till I get back so I had to scrounge up some tires, thats why I have bfgs up front and road tires in the rear, but there both 33s on 15x10s. But yea here are some pics and a really short vid if it works.

nice. i would have changed the tires around...

Looks great Congrats:thumbsup:

Great looking truck. Really looks BA. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few observations...drag link and panhard angles look way off, I'd flip the tie rod on top of the knuckle to make that drag link flatter. Are you running a dropped pitman arm? Its hard to tell in the pics, that would also help.

Coils...TTB coils on an SAS are pretty damn stiff, I speak from experience on this. The EB coils seem to be the hot ticket if you want it to perform well off road. I'd get some limit straps or capture those coils somehow up top so you don't over extend your shocks and rip the brake lines off. You may get more droop the way it is now but it's really useless off road.

Other than that, it looks like a clean install, i know you can only fix and upgrade things when you get money but i'd start with these things first. It'll work better off road as well as on.

Back