Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Save money on oil?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Number4, June 28, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

?

Mobil 1 5w20 high mileage syn or Castrol 5w20 high mileage blnd (save $10)

1. Mobil 1 high mileage syn 5w20

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Castrol high mileage blnd 5w20

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Same brands above but different weight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
    Worth a shot. Don’t see pulling a 225k mile engine to put a new rear main on. Assuming that’s what it is. Scotty said he’s been using this stuff for over a decade.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 Limited AWD
    I'd go with the Castrol from those two choices.

My 98 302 eats about that much, with very little leaking from the oil pan gasket. I always use synthetic and prefer three choices at Walmart, Valvoline/Castrol/Pennzoil.

FWIW; I changed to Mobil 1 synthetic one time right before an 1100 mile trip, in about 2003, in my 302 Lincoln Mark VII. The car had never used much oil, maybe 1/2 quart after an oil interval of 4000 miles or so. My trip was with my mother and we split the driving, typical 10mph over the speed limit, 98% interstate, TN to SD. When we got there I stopped to wash the car in a stall place, and checked the oil and all fluids. The oil was about 80% of a quart low, in 1120 miles. I put that on the Mobil 1, and haven't used it since then.

Changing oil should not cause any change due to the brand, I don't buy that. I use synthetic virtually always(I have a 95 CV that has a rocker rattle, and I've played with different viscosities and cheaper oils(no real change)).

Try one or more oil stop leak products, some people have had good results from them. I've tried many with my 98 302, but so far the biggest help was fixing the original leaks of the oil filter adapter o-rings, pressure sensor, and balancer. Try Amazon for additives, they often have cheap prices for Add-On products(the prices change often, so put several in your saved for later list, and they will update you on changes). Regards,