• Register Today It's free!

sct tuner

03XLT4X4

Reaction score
City, State
Alexandria,La
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Ok guys I have a 03 4x4 XLT 4.0 quickflow cat back exhaust KKM intake and TBS with the sct tuner my question is how can I max out the tuners power I'm seeing stuff like spark plugs tire spinning all kind of stuff just need some input on what some of yall did to max out the power for the tuner thanks I'm only running 87 octane also

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok guys I have a 03 4x4 XLT 4.0 quickflow cat back exhaust KKM intake and TBS with the sct tuner my question is how can I max out the tuners power I'm seeing stuff like spark plugs tire spinning all kind of stuff just need some input on what some of yall did to max out the power for the tuner thanks I'm only running 87 octane also

If you don't already have a custom tune from an SCT tuner then I suggest that you talk to James Henson, who is a vendor here. He will hook you up with a good tune for your Explorer that will maximize the performance of it. If you want max power then you will need to run the highest octane pump gas available to you. Just remember that since you are only doing relatively mild bolt on modifications to not expect to gain tons of horsepower.

Ok so I won't see a diff in the 87 tune I would have to run 93 all the time!?
What strategy tune do yall run?

The strategy tune is what will help a tuner lock onto your computer to make changes needed. Without knowing what you are doing, I wouldn't make ANY changes to the tune.

Contact James Henson and send him your strategy read, what mods you have and what gas octanes you want. I have 89 tow, 91 street and 93 race. The 93 is pointless(I picked it) because we don't have 93 here and I mostly run the 89 tune.

Any questions please ask!

You will see gains with a tuned developed for 87 octane fuel, but the gains will not be as high as one made for 93 octane fuel.

As Limited said, you hook the Xcal3/Strategy Flasher 3 device to your vehicle and then perform a "read strategy" with it. The instructions that come with the device will inform you on how to do this. It is literally a 1 minute procedure. Send the alphanumeric strategy code, along with a detailed list of modifications that have been done to the vehicle, and any personal preferences like "I want my speed limiter raised to x mph", or "I want my shifts to be really really firm." or so on to James in an email. For a fee he will be able to develop a tune for your truck that will be far better than a generic strategy flash.

The strategy tune is what will help a tuner lock onto your computer to make changes needed. Without knowing what you are doing, I wouldn't make ANY changes to the tune.

Contact James Henson and send him your strategy read, what mods you have and what gas octanes you want. I have 89 tow, 91 street and 93 race. The 93 is pointless(I picked it) because we don't have 93 here and I mostly run the 89 tune.

Any questions please ask!

He sent me the tunes already but Idk if I'm doing it right cause it feels like I have more power out of the stock than with the 87 tune I'm not very smart when it comes to things like this hahahaha

Back