• Register Today It's free!

Seafoam or not?

ponkotsu

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
I'm not a big believer in "snake oils" but sometimes they have a place. I've heard that Seafoam can potentially free up stuck piston rings. I think my Aviator might be a candidate for this.

• Has fairly low compression, 130psi
  • Intake manifold was horribly gummed up. It was like molasses, not typical carbon or black. Possibly the piston rings are in similar condition.
  • Still having a little trouble with intermittent misfire at low rpm.
  • Valves are in great shape, the low compression is due to the rings.

I think the risk to this is that sometimes the carbon around the rings is the only thing keeping the engine running. Since I bought the truck, I've started using high quality synthetic oil and have treated the fuel system several times with Techron. I'm concerned that the "cleaning up" of the engine is what is making it run rough, so Seafoaming it might make it even worse.

If I do Seafoam it, I plan on measuring cylinder compression before and after, and maybe taking some scan data to see if there is any measurable affect.

Anyone see any significant risk to trying it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you planning on putting it in the fuel tank or introducing it through the brake booster?

If you're concerned about 'ingesting' it through the motor, what about an oil change and replace 1qt with Seafoam and run it for a while (I believe there are instructions on the can).

That way you don't run the risk of loosening a chunk of carbon and running that through the engine.

That might be enough to free up the rings. The problem is you need to run a flush change after the Seafoam before you put your final Amsoil load in to make sure you get all the Seafoam washed out (and remaining gunk).

Have you run an oil sample through analysis yet?

I use seafoam on a regular basis in the Mounty and the bikes.

It's good at cleaning the carbon buildup .

What grade of fuel are you using?

It sounds like you or the PO have used fuel with to high an octane rating. If it doesn't ping on regular, then anything higher will cause the intake to carbon up.

MT

I use seafoam on a regular basis in the Mounty and the bikes.

It's good at cleaning the carbon buildup .

What grade of fuel are you using?

It sounds like you or the PO have used fuel with to high an octane rating. If it doesn't ping on regular, then anything higher will cause the intake to carbon up.

MT
I use almost exclusively Shell Premium. The Aviator requires 91+ so I've never used anything else. The intake wasn't carboned up. It had a black tarry gooey substance coating it and the intake runners. I didn't see any hard deposits on the valves at all.

Here's a picture of what the intake looked like. The one area that's clean is because I cleaned it through the throttle body before pulling the upper manifold. The black goo was all the way down into the intake runners. In some areas it was about 1/16" thick. It was really nasty to clean up. It didn't dissolve readily with carb cleaner, almost like it wasn't petroleum based. Took several cans of carb cleaner and lots of rags. I did get the intake and runners 100% clean though. I've been reading that possibly this was from diesel fuel. Cheap gas stations often switch their fuels out and leave a lot of diesel behind. All I know is I've never seen black goo like I saw on this intake.

Aviator_Intake.jpg

I use almost exclusively Shell Premium. The Aviator requires 91+ so I've never used anything else. The intake wasn't carboned up. It had a black tarry gooey substance coating it and the intake runners. I didn't see any hard deposits on the valves at all.

Try running it on fuel one grade down.

If it doesn't ping you don't need the premium.

All the higher octane fuel does is lower the incoming fuel temp. It DOES NOT give more power or anything else.

The recommended grade is to cover their ass. There is no way to determine what grade fuel everyone will need in every location and circumstance.

I have a 10.8/1 5.0 in a Mustang that runs fine on regular. But the entire intake has been flowed and polished to leave no rough surfaces for fuel to cling to. Most with that compression need 90+ octane.

Just try it once.

I'm on empty now, so I'll put in half a tank of midgrade and see what happens. I suppose especially on an older engine with reduced compression anyway, the premium is really pointless.

I have run many tanks of 89 octane through mine. It won't ping due to all the sensors and ECM programming.

Unless you're towing or racing, you won't notice if there's any loss of power under normal conditions.

Back to the original question of how to free up potentially gouped up rings.

I believe the aviator runs only on premium and the effect of putting in a regular has no immediate effects but long term. The seafoam might help but be careful on putting excessive amount of those since it could thin the oil and destroy your motor. Heard a lot of horror stories about it. I'd say any car is better off without it, manual cleaning is still the best option.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

How will it thin the oil if run through the fuel system?

MT

I believe the aviator runs only on premium and the effect of putting in a regular has no immediate effects but long term. The seafoam might help but be careful on putting excessive amount of those since it could thin the oil and destroy your motor. Heard a lot of horror stories about it. I'd say any car is better off without it, manual cleaning is still the best option.

MY MOUNTY

Higher octane does NOT make any more power.

It cools the intake charge to prevent early detonation or pinging.

That is it, the end of the story.

The only way to make more power is to raise the volumetric efficiency, cams, valves, compression, headers, forced induction, etc., or using a fuel with more stored energy per ounce like nitro-methane.

MT

I have run many tanks of 89 octane through mine. It won't ping due to all the sensors and ECM programming.

Unless you're towing or racing, you won't notice if there's any loss of power under normal conditions.

Back to the original question of how to free up potentially gouped up rings.

The only way to make more power is to raise the volumetric efficiency, cams, valves, compression, headers, forced induction, etc., or using a fuel with more stored energy per ounce like nitro-methane.

MT

Some engines are designed for higher octane only, the lincoln aviators and ls are among them. My 98 continental has a "premium recommended" instead of "premium required" label so I can put in regular gasoline in exchange for poor gas mileage and power (it has knock sensors to adjust timing) The explorers and mountaineers runs on regular and putting premium is not necessary.

MY MOUNTY

MT

It won't make power, but you can lose power if the fuel is too low octane and the engine runs inefficiently.

Ever think the gunk could of been cause by a bad PCV valve? Have you ever replaced it?

It could be pulled from the oil fill vent also (I think your 4.6 has one). Also all your junk is before the injectors so the buildup has to be oil residue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be pulled from the oil fill vent also (I think your 4.6 has one). Also all your junk is before the injectors so the buildup has to be oil residue.

You're right. It is pre-injector so not likely fuel related. Probably is PCV related, which would possibly indicate excess blow-by.

Back