Seafoam + Techron Advice

BootyDo

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
Hello,

My 06 4.6L has been sputtering of late after warming up. I've posted about it and am going to try replacing a coil. In the meantime, I figured it'd be a good idea to run some Seafoam and Techron Fuel System Cleaner to address some build up and the injectors. I seafoamed once on my old '96 and am very anxious to do this on my '06. But where is the best place to run this through on this engine? Also, should I used the Techron treatment after the Seafoam treatment or should I let it go and throw it in with the next fill-up?

TIA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know much about seafoam, but if you don't get any other replies you can check the BITOG site. There are endless threads on it.

Fuel filter needs to be changed every 30k. Your symptoms seem to indicate a lean fuel mixture that would not be fixed for long with fuel additives.

Thanks for the advice all! Happy to report, a new Accel coil resulted in an entirely different drive. But I'm still going to go with the Techron & Seafoam since I've come this far, (not normally a very hands-on engine dude).

Btw, never heard of that BITOG site. Looks neat (and a tad overwhelming). And definitely going to check out changing my fuel filter. I've honestly never done that before but know it's something I really need to do. Cheap DIY maintenance plus satisfaction of doing it myself...yes, I'll take that. Even found this "how-to" on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN5IKl2QKGI

Only thing that I'm not understanding (again, 'dense' isn't the word), is how to remove the fuse? Is this something you do and then start and wait for stall or is this something you do while it's running or something? Completely green behind the ears on this.

Only thing that I'm not understanding (again, 'dense' isn't the word), is how to remove the fuse? Is this something you do and then start and wait for stall or is this something you do while it's running or something? Completely green behind the ears on this.

Either way will work. I normally pull the fuse then start it and let it stall then start it a few more times.

The way I change a fuel filter is to let the vehicle sit overnight to allow all fuel pressure to dissipate. The exhaust is cold and there is little danger of the gas spilled from the filter to ignite. You are working uncomfortably close to the exhaust when changing the filter on an Explorer.

You will notice in the video that gas sprayed onto the exhaust, and there is a lot of fuel in the area when the connections are released. The filter is large and holds a lot of fuel that will quickly vapourize and be a real danger of burning and your head is right there.

Usually fuses are U shaped. You grab the plastic bottom of the U (that contains the actual element that is burned away when too high an amperage) and pull the fuse straight out. The legs of the U are the connections with the terminals. There is a tool that will better grip the fuse. The Owner's manual identifies the fuse by amperage and position number. There are fuses under the dash on driver's side and in the engine compartment.

Good luck.

You might consider a fuel additive with REGANE.... similar (or same?) as Techron. I have used Gumout Complete Fuel System Cleaner with REGANE. I think I was turned on to it from reading on BITOG

Back