• Register Today It's free!

jimrich

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Hello,
Stopped by in my search for answers. Thank you.
I own a 1998 Explorer Eddie B. 2wd with 302 V8, Automatic. Reached my destination, turned off my ignition key. Engine stopped but warning lights remained on with key out. I re-inserted key turned on then off, no change. Attempted to re-start, no start, crank only. Disconected the Battery. Next day, hooked up battery, lights came back on without key. Inserted key, started vehicle. Turned key off and removed, did not kill engine, warning lights stayed on. Disconected battery, continued to run. Put key back in and hit starter, engine died, warning lights still on. Tugged around on steering column, tilt wheel and shifter while moving key back and forth, no effect. Pulled panels to expose ignition switch, screws were tight, removed plug from switch, lights remained on. Reinstalled plug and removed switch from column. Activated switch off of the column, no change. Car wont start, turns over (cranks) but won't run, ignition switch seems to have no effect on warning lights. Am I losing my mind or has this a simple solution. Thanks, Jim

did you buy it new?

might be a remote starter gone wild

if the lights are the headlamps, my 95 had the relay in place even though it did not have autolamps

Back