Seat Belt-Minder® deactivating/activating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat Belt-Minder® deactivating/activating

BruceF

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Base
General Procedure
NOTE: The driver and passenger seat Belt-Minder® deactivating/activating can be carried out using the scan tool.
NOTE: If you are using MyKey® , the Belt-Minder® cannot be disabled. If the Belt-Minder® has been previously disabled,
it is re-enabled during the use of MyKey® .
1. Apply the parking brake before deactivating/activating the Belt-Minder® .
2. Place the gear selector lever in PARK (P).
3. Place the ignition in OFF.
4. Unbuckle the driver and the front passenger safety belts.
5. Place the ignition in the ON mode (do not start the engine).
6. Wait until the safety belt warning lamp turns off (approximately 1 minute).
7. NOTE: This step must be completed within 20 seconds after placing the ignition in ON (step 6).
For the seating position to be disabled, at a moderate speed, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt 3 times, ending with
the safety belt in the unbuckled state. After this step the safety belt warning indicator illuminates for 3 seconds.
8. Within 7 seconds of the safety belt warning indicator turning off, at a moderate speed, buckle then unbuckle the safety
belt.
1) This disables the Belt-Minder® feature for that seating position, if it is currently enabled. As confirmation, the
safety belt warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds.
2) This enables the safety Belt-Minder® feature for that seating position, if it is currently disabled. As confirmation,
the safety belt warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the safety
belt warning indicator off, then the safety belt warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.
9. After confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete.
2012 Explorer | General Procedure | 1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you explain that in english please !!!

Niiice. My friend hates wearing the seatbelt in the car and there's no way I can get him to wear it so might as well just disable the thing for the passenger side.

Is there a way to disable the steering?

Great post

I recently had to replace my driver's side seat belt (pre-tensioner) assembly, as the recoil on the take-up reel had gotten weak, proving to be very annoying. In order to replace it, I had to disconnect the battery first, before messing with it, as per AllData instructions. The actual replacement was pretty straightforward; first with trim removal, then swapping the unit out for a new one, then putting it all back together and reconnecting the battery again.

However, after doing so, I noticed the next day that, other than a brief lighting of the seat belt lamp upon starting, the lamp would then disappear, PLUS, there was no longer any functioning of the audible chime! Additionally, you could unbuckle your seat belt while driving, and nothing would happen... no chime, and not even the dash lamp anymore! Very strange. So, I started researching the problem, and I was going to go through the trouble of setting-up my laptop and go into the ECM (using FORScan), when I happened to read on the forum about a way to either enable or disable the chime feature... so, I tried it this morning, using the same notes not only listed here, but also duplicated deep within my owner's manual, and voila, it all came back again and the problem was resolved!

I suppose I'll never know for sure exactly what triggered the problem, though. I thought perhaps that the sparking that occurred briefly, as I'd reconnected the battery, might have sent some spiked current into the system that caused a corruption of the resident ECM instructions regarding the chime feature, but I really don't know what caused it to happen. All I know is that the chime is back again, and that the fix was easier than setting up my laptop and cabling to use FORScan to figure out if the setting had changed or not!

Back