Seats. Trailing arm . Repairs on the spot! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seats. Trailing arm . Repairs on the spot!

Chirko

Reaction score
City, State
Enem, Adigeya
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1991 Eddie Bauer
I apologize to everyone for the bad english. I have a little experience.
Hello! Faced with the problem! Broken seats trailing arms!
13764217_m.jpg

13764081_m.jpg

13764082_m.jpg

13764087_m.jpg

13764086_m.jpg

on the second side of the problem was hidden Hob. Cracks seen after suspension disassembled.
13764222_m.jpg

13764221_m.jpg

13764224_m.jpg

13764083_m.jpg

13764218_m.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

at the same time I decided to paint some details
13764336_m.jpg

13764337_m.jpg

13764219_m.jpg

13764220_m.jpg

13764338_m.jpg

Complete replacement is not possible. I solved the problem in this way:
Almost the entire front suspension lifted. Brought levers forward.

Fully I cleared out of the grinding machine and the crack shot of the old metal
13764226_m.jpg

13764339_m.jpg

Turner I machined hub by size of new silent blocks . It increased slightly in the thickness of the metal sleeve.
13764225_m.jpg

Then, on the outside and on the other hand welded continuous weld seam.

Levers mounted with new Hob . Factory rivets remained in their places ) )

Wow, those mounts are really worn!:eek:. I'm curious to see the repair once you have it finished.

Good job! Those were loose for a long time.

Good job! Those were loose for a long time.
So do many of us . Deficiency of some parts and the high price . There is a variant easier - is to remove the arm brackets to the frame and welded sleeve . But almost all in Russia make repair of this unit instead of replacing .

I'm curious to see the repair once you have it finished.
I had to take a photo before assembly . But there is no difficulty . Stripping machine sanding and painting;)
13779716_m.jpg

13779717_m.jpg

I'm sorry , that's the view from inside . It is more difficult to clean . And for the sake of strength I did not do it . The welding seam was left as it is.
13782966_m.jpg

13782967_m.jpg

13782968_m.jpg

On the inner side of the weld does not interfere with bushings.

Nice job. I know your restoring this restoring this Explorer but if you're looking for more off-road capability putting in a hime joint there would give you more Fe travle.

Wow, that was worn out but good job on the repair!

I imagine it's hard to get parts where you are. It's cool you were able to repair the bracket like you did. Most people in the US would just get a new part, or even a whole new vehicle.

Nice job. I know your restoring this restoring this Explorer but if you're looking for more off-road capability putting in a hime joint there would give you more Fe travle.
Oh yeah! I agree. I've seen on this forum very interesting solutions. But while the goal - just serviceable and reliable car for the road.

or even a whole new vehicle.

Yes , most of it still goes . Buy new Russian or imported cars . But it's not my way . I like it Ford, Chevrolet, GMC, 70-80-90-s;) They eat the fuel , as the burgers. They look like the old America, who came to us at the end of 80-90 years!

You get the brass balls award for that restoration.

I had all my bushings done before they got that worn. The stock bushings were a rubber that would shrink, get squished, and go brittle. I had urethane performance bushings installed for better lifespan.

I had urethane performance bushings installed for better lifespan.
We take the hub of UAZ vehicle and treated them under Ford Explorer. About polyurethane bushings respond very poorly . They divide the planting hole . I did not use , so I can not say ...

We take the hub of UAZ vehicle and treated them under Ford Explorer. About polyurethane bushings respond very poorly . They divide the planting hole . I did not use , so I can not say ...
They chirp and make chunking sounds anyway when the Explorer flexes and sways. Rubber is quieter.

They chirp and make chunking sounds anyway when the Explorer flexes and sways
And they divide the planting bushes place? What companies produce polyurethane Silent blocks?
We have a good think Moog. But I bought O.E.Brand and Direct Parts. It's cheaper. Although both come in the same package.

Back