Second gen explorer as intro to building a 4x4 rig | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Second gen explorer as intro to building a 4x4 rig

Kreth

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mitsubishi lancer
Hello everyone! I've been deliberating for a while, and have decided that I want to buy an explorer as a weekend adventure vehicle for me and the family. I want to be able to tow a small trailer, get my partner, 1 year old and me around comfortably, and get up some decently difficult 4x4 routes for hiking and camping.

I'm still a noob with mechanics and 4x4ing, but I would like to start learning on an explorer. from what I've read on the forum, second gen explorers are easier to lift than their predecessor due to having a solid axle. It also helps that I love the look of the second gens.

My questions are:
should I be specific in what I'm looking for in a second gen for this purpose? Any red flags to look out for when buying? Does matter if it's manual or auto? I've found what looks like a promising deal that I would like to check out, how does it look to you guys?

1997 Ford Explorer XL 4WD AUTOMATIC AIR LOCAL ONLY 93,000KM! - Tala Auto Select | Auto dealership in NEW WESTMINSTER, British Columbia | Inventory

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Second Gen's do not have a solid front axle. They have the same rear axle, which is solid, a 8.8. The front is independent suspension, in my opinion, far inferior to the first Gen's TTB axle as far as off roading goes.

Thanks for the clarification on the front axle BKennedy.

Ufortunately first gen explorers seem to be very rare where I'm from nowadays. If they aren't an option, would second or third gens be wise to consider? I've read that axle swaps are also possible, but would that be worthwhile on a second or third gen for the purpose of light to moderate offroading? I assume it would be quite expensive.

Wow....only 93km!.... that's great... (hopefully they didn't turn odometer back...sorry distrusting) ...and I'm assuming that's the OHV engine (not sohc) being it's an XL...which is extremely reliable and known to get up to 400K miles and up.....and the transmission should make it to 150K miles before needing rebuild.
If you get if first thing I'd do (free) is remove those running boards....
Good luck

Thanks for the response EB4X. I'm excited to check out the explorer this Friday. Hopefully the 5 speed automatic won't be an issue. If it looks and runs well, I'll buy. Def removing the running boards

Vin code is"X" so it is 4.0L OHV, 93 kilo. is only about 50k miles, very low millage. Why would the 4x4 selector be in 4x4 low? ,(it should be in "auto") position when on hard pavement. Nice clean Explorer.

Thanks for the clarification on the front axle BKennedy.

Ufortunately first gen explorers seem to be very rare where I'm from nowadays. If they aren't an option, would second or third gens be wise to consider? I've read that axle swaps are also possible, but would that be worthwhile on a second or third gen for the purpose of light to moderate offroading? I assume it would be quite expensive.

I've seen people do solid axle swaps (SAS) for a few thousand, but they did all the work themselves. I did most of the fabricating for my SAS, but the parts alone were well over $5,000. If you can't find a 1st Gen, then I would not go past the 2nd Gen's if looking for something off-roadable. They do OK stock, but a little lift and a rear locker goes a long way. You can search the forum for nearly every mod you could ever dream up. Its all here.

Vin code is"X" so it is 4.0L OHV
Thanks '974'.... wondered what letter/digit on vin indicated which engine....

On codes check the door sticker (don't think VIN shows this) to see if it has Limited Slip rear end....that will make it adequate for moderate off-roading out of the box....although for serious off roading as mentioned you would want to add a locker in which case getting on open diff would be better cost wise being you can pop one in stock carrier whereas L.S. diff you have to change carrier for locker add.
See list here ( Look for "Axle Code" on sticker)
Axle Tag Codes for Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and Ford Bronco II Axle Identification

The downside to the bullet proof OHV engine is it's very anemic in power....only 160 H.P...... so wanting to tow a small trailer might be a deal-breaker....not that it can't do that.....but..........
The SOHC 4.0 with it's multiple timing chains/design has failure prone timing chain guides/tensioners so stay away from that one ....although 50 more H.P.
And Ford did not offer a true 4x4 second gen Explorer with the V8.....only AWD......bad move on Ford...

I will check the door codes on friday when I look at the truck again. Thanks EB4X.

I'm hopeful that the 4.0 OHV will do just fine for the purpose of towing my grandfathers 20 ft aluminum boat, an equipment trailer, and maybe in the future a small camper. Towing is rated at 4760 lb.

If you can find a good low mileage 5.0 they make great vehicles for what you are describing, and will definitely pull a small trailer. Just get rid of the AWD Tcase and do a BW4406 swap. Very easy, relatively cheap. Then a TT, Shackles, and bigger tires and you're good to go.

I think what traveler is suggesting would work out well for you. They have plenty of power and are a good start. If I was planning on doing a SAS from the start, I would have purchased a V8 2nd Gen. When I purchased my 1st Gen, there was no other to chose from and it was the wife's mall crawler.

Thank you Traveler and Bkennedy

If you can find a good low mileage 5.0 they make great vehicles for what you are describing, and will definitely pull a small trailer. Just get rid of the AWD Tcase and do a BW4406 swap. Very easy, relatively cheap. Then a TT, Shackles, and bigger tires and you're good to go.

It sounds like that would be perfect Traveler. Unfortunately there are currently no low mileage second gen V8s for sale in my province. For my needs would the OHV be underpowered? I'm not planning on towing anything huge really. Maybe i should hold out till a V8 comes up.

It looks like you are fairly close to the border with Washington state. Is it worth it to import one? I have no idea.

It sounds like that would be perfect Traveler. Unfortunately there are currently no low mileage second gen V8s for sale in my province. For my needs would the OHV be underpowered? I'm not planning on towing anything huge really. Maybe i should hold out till a V8 comes up.

Well I really have nothing to go on. Ive never had a chance to drive a V6. I pull a 3500lb travel with the V8, and though it does do it, it works at it. If you're thinking a small teardrop, or overland camper it may do it. Particularly with the low range. But then you add big tires and you lose a lot, unless you change the diff gears.

I pulled a tent trailer for a few years with my Explorer. I think it weighed about 2500 pounds loaded as it was a bigger trailer. My Explorer was on 35" tires at the time with 5:13 gears. It pulled it, but didn't like it.

Back