Second row buckets.. Do you like them? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Second row buckets.. Do you like them?

AZZKIKR

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Hello,

We currently have our new EX Sport on order with an estimated delivery time of mid-end of May.. I was disappointed when I found out that we could not get the Sport with the buckets w/ center console.. So, we decided to order the bench ONLY because it has a section in the center that folds down. I can't imagine sitting in buckets or on a bench w/o inner arm rests..

Dealership we ordered ours through just got the exact car in that we ordered but it has the rear bucket seats and adaptive cruise (no biggie)..

My question is for those EX owners who have the rear buckets w/o a center console how are they to sit in? Do you miss that arm rest?

Also, for those who have the bench, do you wish you went with buckets even if it did not have the center console option..

I realize that these questions are for both Sport and Limited owners, I or WE keep second guessing ourselves at this point.. I could wait for another couple months and order a '14 Sport with the center console but we have sold our Denali (much earlier than expected) so we are down to 1 4x4, which lately has been a challenge with our weather..

We are both in our 30's, not hauling kids often (nieces,) and family when we might do dinner, etc..

All opinions appreciated.

T

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We ordered the 2nd row buckets and love the walk thru attributes! I do have to mention that we do not have kids, if that even matters console wise. Our adult son and his wife raved about the comfort level of the seats. Didn't mention the lack of an armrest. I rode back there once on a short trip and did not even notice the lack of an arm-rest.

We don't anticipate using the 3rd row much. If and when we do I see the buckets and the lack of a center console a huge plus with in our needs! That's why we ordered it that way!

Eddie

have them and like them..the 14 has the console as an option

Love the buckets, they are the way to go for functionality. Center console would defeat the purpose. 14 year old and 11 year old love the back especially with buckets folded and sitting in 3rd row. I like putting briefcase in middle also with access from front. No complaints without armrests. Cooler will be perfect for armrest when going to games.
Mark

Ditto - did not want console - can always get something to sit in the center if needed...

Get the buckets! You get a little more leg room with them and are more comfortable. I think it gives the Explorer a little more upscale look too. You can always add a console later if you find one for sale, you just have to be patient and know where to look.

Hello,

We currently have our new EX Sport on order with an estimated delivery time of mid-end of May.. I was disappointed when I found out that we could not get the Sport with the buckets w/ center console.. So, we decided to order the bench ONLY because it has a section in the center that folds down. I can't imagine sitting in buckets or on a bench w/o inner arm rests..

Dealership we ordered ours through just got the exact car in that we ordered but it has the rear bucket seats and adaptive cruise (no biggie)..

My question is for those EX owners who have the rear buckets w/o a center console how are they to sit in? Do you miss that arm rest?

Also, for those who have the bench, do you wish you went with buckets even if it did not have the center console option..

I realize that these questions are for both Sport and Limited owners, I or WE keep second guessing ourselves at this point.. I could wait for another couple months and order a '14 Sport with the center console but we have sold our Denali (much earlier than expected) so we are down to 1 4x4, which lately has been a challenge with our weather..

We are both in our 30's, not hauling kids often (nieces,) and family when we might do dinner, etc..

All opinions appreciated.

T

If the lack of armrests bothered you that much, I guess you could probably pay a custom shop to add some nice arm rests. We have the buckets without console and I can't speak to how comfortable they are or not as they are taken up most of the time by car seats.

I ordered the buckets because it's a more effective family hauler. Now that kid #3 is here, it's going to pay for itself in spades.

We ordered the 2nd row buckets and love the walk thru attributes! I do have to mention that we do not have kids, if that even matters console wise. Our adult son and his wife raved about the comfort level of the seats. Didn't mention the lack of an armrest. I rode back there once on a short trip and did not even notice the lack of an arm-rest.

We don't anticipate using the 3rd row much. If and when we do I see the buckets and the lack of a center console a huge plus with in our needs! That's why we ordered it that way!

Eddie

Didn't notice your screen name before, but Go Pack! (I'm assuming you are referring to the 13 Time World Champion Green Bay Packers).

I have the buckets and wouldn't have it any other way.

I also have the buckets, however, as I do not have kids I opted to find a console for mine. For as often as the 3rd row is going to be used, I would rather the people in the 2nd row have as much comfort as possible. I certainly don't regret getting the 2nd row buckets, however, I wish the console was an option from the get go.

Buckets with console. Console adds storage for kids stuff and more cup holders. Buckets get power fold so its quick and easy. I agree that the buckets add a bit to the look as well.

Go with the one with the buckets. That fact that it also has adaptive cruise is even more of a reason. I love having the buckets (no console) and adaptive cruise in mine!

Go with the one with the buckets. That fact that it also has adaptive cruise is even more of a reason. I love having the buckets (no console) and adaptive cruise in mine!

This^^ ours doesn't have buckets :( but it does have adaptive cruise and it's fun and really useful it turns out lol

I have older kids (20, 18, 12). The older 2 rarely travel with us any more. I specifically got the bucket seats (without console) as I wanted a comfortable adult people mover. Access to the rear seats is much easier this way, just walk between the two buckets. People under 5'10' can easily get into the back. Heck my 6'4" son climbed into the back just because he could . . . he looked silly sitting back there.

If I had young kids I would have opted for the bench as they easily climb into the back no matter how small the entrance.

Thanks for everyone's opinions, we appreciate it. Per our friendly Ford rep Crystal on this site the other one that is coming in with the buckets is scheduled for delivery around May 3rd.. Ours was scheduled for around May 10th.. I might see if I can place down some hold money on this new one coming in and compare them side to side with the interior differences..

Thanks again!

Thanks for everyone's opinions, we appreciate it. Per our friendly Ford rep Crystal on this site the other one that is coming in with the buckets is scheduled for delivery around May 3rd...

I'm always happy to help, AZZKIKR! :)

Crystal

I'm always happy to help, AZZKIKR! :)

Crystal

Thanks, Crystal.. I gave them that second VIN that you ran for me and the salesperson did not even know it was coming in. They are checking the status of that Sport now to see if it was an order, or just for inventory.

It is nice having our personal contact with Ford. :)

Thanks, Crystal.. I gave them that second VIN that you ran for me and the salesperson did not even know it was coming in. They are checking the status of that Sport now to see if it was an order, or just for inventory.

It is nice having our personal contact with Ford. :)

You're very welcome, AZZKIKR! Give me a shout if you need any additional help. :)

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2nd Row Buckets ... Yes or No?

I'm contemplating getting the 2nd row buckets if I end up getting the '14 Sport I have my eye on. Ms. Fanboy suggested the buckets would be ideal when we have both kids and the dog as it would be a better place for the pooch than cramming between 2 car seats on the bench. Most of the time she has her front paws on the floor and back legs on the seat, head resting on the center console. I always have the 3rd row in my Flex down for hauling our gear so that isn't an option for her.

I'd like to hear from those with the 2nd row buckets; if you like them, hate them and any stories you may have to persuade me one way or the other.

Back