Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback) | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What type of filter can be used oil, transmision, hydraulic

hi
I cant seam to find a supplier for remote transmission filters in my area. I can find remote oil filters and hydraulic filters. filters can I use if I install a remote filter setup on my 1992 Aerostr 4.0Lt A4LD

hi
I cant seam to find a supplier for remote transmission filters in my area. I can find remote oil filters and hydraulic filters. filters can I use if I install a remote filter setup on my 1992 Aerostr 4.0Lt A4LD

I used to use a Mobil 1 oil filter for mine; now I use an Amsoil EaO filter.

home made remote transmission fiter kit

This is some of the parts I am thinking of getting
It is easier to buy the parts a bit at a time (small budget)
If you have heard of Princess Auto http://www.princessauto.com/
Princess Auto is Canadian by the way they have lots of different stuff for back yard mechanics and farmers.
I will be buying these parts to make the remote filter kit

This is the hose that I am thinking of using
y1pA5nj19z2JdcYjM3P4tjXI0lMCKHmCrTjtOnJ2fGEqrXVOlRCu7I52YixKOu8A-7VmB9wpH511P8

This is one of the filter heads that I can get.
y1pA5nj19z2Jdc-hqPdJOsct2hS6EyuKjkC2lYJsfKrJ5JBPpzmxzJLf6Tph4xsvUuWj5hlq2FAWNk

Will a hydraulic filter work in this aplication or will I have to purchase a different filter other than an oil filter?

This is some of the parts I am thinking of getting
It is easier to buy the parts a bit at a time (small budget)
If you have heard of Princess Auto http://www.princessauto.com/
Princess Auto is Canadian by the way they have lots of different stuff for back yard mechanics and farmers.
I will be buying these parts to make the remote filter kit

This is the hose that I am thinking of using
y1pA5nj19z2JdcYjM3P4tjXI0lMCKHmCrTjtOnJ2fGEqrXVOlRCu7I52YixKOu8A-7VmB9wpH511P8

This is one of the filter heads that I can get.
y1pA5nj19z2Jdc-hqPdJOsct2hS6EyuKjkC2lYJsfKrJ5JBPpzmxzJLf6Tph4xsvUuWj5hlq2FAWNk

Will a hydraulic filter work in this aplication or will I have to purchase a different filter other than an oil filter?

Princess Auto is my favorite store!
I have purchased the same filter head as you have listed. It takes a small hydraulic filter, also available at Princess auto, but a regular Motorcraft FL-1A engine oil filter (Wix 51515) also fits that head, and will work well.

The hose you have listed is hydraulic hose, and I think would be a bit tough to work with.
If you decide to go that route, I recommend having 3/8" NPT male fittings crimped on one end of each hose, and 3/8" NPT female fittings crimped on the other end of each hose. Then buy compression fittings to go onto your steel trans cooler lines. Princess Auto crimps the fittings on free of charge, provided you bought them from there. :D
The hydraulic hose is very stiff, and would be difficult to slide over and clamp to the steel lines.

Trans cooler hose would be a LOT easier to work with.....

Hope this helps.

A pic at last.....

what about throwing a rock or something at the filter....you know when the tires spin....will it mess the filter up?

what about throwing a rock or something at the filter....you know when the tires spin....will it mess the filter up?

The WIX 51622 has the same threads, gasket dia., just in a more durable case than the 51515, if you are worried about stone damage....

For those interested, here's where I mounted my filter. The good thing about this spot is there are already holes to mount it. I just needed to put the cables that were there somewhere else. It's inline between the radiator and the cooler, that was the easiest as those lines where already rubber hoses.

DSC01539.JPG

Once the bumper is on it's completely hidden, however, it is sitting pretty much on top of the fog light housing.

DSC01541.JPG

What I'm probably going to end up doing is removing the airdam (it's pretty messed up as it is) and replace it for something without the fog light holes. Then I can just remove those housings.

With my Aerostar there is no room up front, so I will have to run long hoses along the frame on the passenger side just after the cats. The long hoses will also help in changing ATF. I put in a plug until i can get a good Trans temp gauge. By the way I took off my air dam and found a bumper cover to put in its place. The bumper cover is rubber and real flexible. It sits 5 to 6 inches off the ground. I painted the cover with a spray can colour slightly lighter than the Ford bumper cover colour.

I am planning to do this with my 00 Mountaineer. When looking at the trans cooler from the front, which is the inlet and which is the outlet?

Only way to know for sure is to disconnect both lines, start the truck fro a few seconds, and see which one spits out fluid. Remember to put the hose ends in to a container ;)

I added a filter and cooler to my '00 XLS last weekend:

IMG_0127-1.jpg

:ttiwwp: well not worthless and there are a few pics i would like to see the hoses and how they are ran from radiator to filter to trans cooler to tranie thanks for all the help

also i was wondering if i should get the filter setup with the temp Gage or without it

Does the Perma-Cool model on Summit use a standard PH8A/FL1? What do you all think about using the oversize PH977A/FL299 size?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the Perma-Cool model on Summit use a standard PH8A/FL1? What do you all think about using the oversize PH977A/FL299 size?

Every external filter adapter I've seen for transmissions has used the standard ford fl1a type filter.

I haven't seen the specs for the bigger filter.. If the media effieciency and bypass pressures are the same I don't see why you couldn't use it other than its physical size getting in the way of fitting it somewhere.

~Mark

Back